Time Requirements

There are no "minimum" requirements. There are just the requirements. Developing Scout's into leaders is an admirable goal - and there will always be lads who can use more time in a POR to further develop - developing scouts into leaders doesn't stop when a scout earns rank - it continues.

The whole concept of "minimum" requirements makes me cringe. It's this line of thinking that results in Scout leaders creating their own rules and requirements for ranks. Trying to couch this in the "Aims and Methods" is just disingenuous grasping at straws. If there is a failure in delivering the Aims and Methods, it's not a result of advancement - it's the result of failing adult leadership.

I've been taught in every training that advancement is but ONE of the methods of scouting. Unfortunately, it often becomes the ONLY method the adults (and by default a great deal the lads) pay attention to.

Requirements are not minimums, nor maximums. They are the requirements. You have a list of them and you are either a 'Go' or a 'No Go' at each bullet point.

Those positions that have time requirements have been carved out through nearly 100 years of tradition and innovation of working with youth. Those that set the standards might actually have some reason for why they are there.

That being said - if I had a scout that was ready to advance and only waiting on a POR to open up in a "mega-troop", I'd likely be looking for another troop. When I was a scout, our unit had about 40 guys in it. The only real "additional" rule our SM had was to encourage scouts to not duplicate POR's for different ranks. This makes sense to me as the aim should be to encourage the scout to try on different hats within the youth leadership, thus gaining a different perspective with each leadership expirience. It should be about what is LEARNED within the time in POR.... not just marking the time off so you can go to the BOR and state, "Yes, I've been the quartermaster for the past 6 months.... did we camp? ummm, no. Did I help log and repair troop equipment? umm.... not really...". Not a very good use of time in that POR IMHO.