Eagle Requirements

I've read the pubs also and there are no min hour rules

That said the Asst DAC I know requires a boy to invest at least 100 hours of time

These rules are just to hold kids back.

True story for me:

When I was in high school I was paid by the school to water the baseball field 2 days a week during my senior year. This consisted of going to the field, turning on the sprinkler and waiting 45 minutes. This occurred six days a week, 3 people a year. The hard part was making sure that all the heads went back in the ground. BTW, I was a hockey player.

The school knew I needed money for college as did the others.

I guess a scout could count time watering plants as hours.

Eghlie,

Sorry watering flowers won't hold in my area. A scout must show LEADERSHIP in planning, securing approval for, and executing a project.

Now iof the scout thought that a garden would be a benefit to the community, came up with plans to create the garden, secured the permission, got teh donations, got folks to hlep out (fundraising, planting, etc) adn once the bulk of the project was done and watering needed to be then, THEN the watering of plants would be approved.

True story, good friend of mine nearly had his EBOR decided against him b/c the Adv chair did not beleive the young man showed enough leadership. He just came up with a way to create easily portable obstacles that could be used by search and rescue dogs for training. he researched designs, secured the lumber, etc but only got 4-5 folks to do the manual labor, with 3 of them being adults who do woodwork as either a hobby or a living. I thuoght is was a great project, especially sicne thsoe obstacles were brought out to the local camp for an exhibit on what the dogs can do.

Look, the decision as to whether the project and work qualifies...is made prior to doing it. If a project makes it through the front-end-approval process, and if it is completed as planned, then there should be no further discussion about whether it qualified. Am I missing something here?

I was almost in the same situation as Eagle92's friend. My Scoutmaster refused to sign my completed workbook because she said I didn't show enough leadership and did too much of the manual labor myself.

I planned, fundraised, and obtained the materials I needed. I enlisted help from family/friends, and being the President of the Key Club, I was able to get some of my club members to help out....guess who didn't come out until five hours into the second day of work? My Scoutmaster and a few boys from my Troop...and after I directed the boys (they were all 11-13), she went behind me and told them to stop what they were doing or told them to do something else. Unfortuntely, for five years all I really had to do was my project, and after moving from Europe and getting my licence, although I was still involved in Scouting, I was totaly distracted. Since I was running into my 18th birthday, she thought she could put up a pretty tough roadblock and I wouldn't fight it.

At the hearing with the Council Advancement Committee, when asked about not showing enough leadership and doing "too much" of the labor myself, I just said that there were different types of leadership. How could I expect the people follwoing me to do the work if I wasn't doing it myself. A EBOR was scheduled for the time between I was home from basic training and then reporting to my first week of college, and everything turned our alright.

She saw it as an exercise in "management" and I saw the project as one in "leadership."

He said that the scout had 24 hours of work on the project but was told he needed 30. The project itself is complete. It was a landscaping project.

How else is he supposed to get the additional 6 hours, assuming the logs are accurate? He shouldn't have to start over.

That's why I suggested, more as a joke, to do 6 hours of watering. He can put it down in his log as additional work to ensure the long-term viability of his project.

In reality, he shouldn't be having to do any additional work. Part of the leadership is gathering the workforce and making sure project execution takes place. If he gathers 25 people for a period of 4 hours (100 man hours), he only gets personal credit for 4 hours. If he gathers 12 people for 8 hours (96 man hours), he gets personal credit for 8 hours. Same amount of execution, but half the personal hours. The reality of the situation is the scout gets punished for efficient recruiting and execution, but that should be an indication of GOOD leadership.(This message has been edited by nolesrule)

I agree with nolesrule on this one. A Scout pulls together an involved project, provides genuine leadership, and is penalized because he doesn't fit into some arbitrary rule that he wasn't even aware of. This is something that shouldn't be allowed to stand unchallenged.

This is a good example of what I like to call the "cookie cutter" approach. This happens when a bureaucracy (in this case, the Council) deems someone's efforts unworthy of recognition and acceptance because it doesn't fit within "their" ideas about how things should be.

Best of luck to your Eagle candidate, and I hope things turn out well.