I have receied a few PM's from some newer folk who have no idea why some talk about Pie. I understand its an inside joke, but inside jokes are not funny to those not in the know. If we are to continue to make pie comments, can the first person to bring up pie explain what they are doing so it doesnt leave several people scratching their collective heads in wonderment?

In my humble experiences in the South, it is a polite society method of attempting to civilly end a discussion which is heading in an inelegant direction by diverting attention of the members of a party to a more pleasant topic.

If apple is the reward, I'll have mine ala mode..., if Key Lime hold the ice cream thanks.

Is it possible to skip the pie talk, and if you are done with a subject to just not refer back to it? Someone may see the topic as over and done while a few others are still discussing it. Would it be better to not post or continue to talk about pie?

I may be wrong but, for me I think I have only joined in the "pie" portions of the discussion when it's already been apparent that the thread is overall dying and the "fun" "ridiculousness" of pie talking has seized the discussion.

And on those occasions I think I would have missed out on some insights on my fellow Scouters had the pie talk not occurred.

Sorry OGE, I misread your post, but still agree with my earlier response.

As to the re-reading, no I don't think discussing that you are attempting to redirect the conversation with the pie gambit will work as it brings attention to the "elephant in the room" phenomenon usually referring in these cases that someone has lost their sense of decorum and would then be analogous to pointing out their incivility.

It would then be the equivalent of calling them out on their behavior rather than civilly redirecting(or yes, sometimes ending) the topic on a lighter note. IMHO only. Thanks.