Eagle Congratulation Letters; Spinoff

One boy in our troop had a CoH recently, when his letters were presented there were only a handful. I was surpised at the list:

The John Deere Tractor Company

Mike Rowe (Dirty Jobs)

Sen Jon McCain

Ford Motor Company

Our council sends a packet of certificates and those plus the above were all he wanted.

• 2 weeks later...

Two special ones for my son were one from his former cubmaster and one from his first Scoutmaster (we moved).

It's funny how strong the opinions are on these. (kind of similar to people's opinions on mass-Christmas letters) I am guilty of requesting letters for my son. He had a lot of fun opening them and actually, his younger brother made a big deal out of it any time he got one. The most amusing one we got was from George Lucas's secretary! He didn't have his secretary write it and then him sign it, but it is signed by his secretary. LOL. Now whenever we see his name on movie credits, our whole family teases "Hey you got a letter from that guy's secretary!"

I guess I'm confused - how does the number of Eagle congratulations letters requested or received affect any of you? Does it take something away from you? If the parents want to request a letter from Mickey Mouse, I fail to see how that affects anyone other than the Scout and his family. The Scout, with the support of his family, earned the award. They can request letters from anyone they want.

I agree with Brent. I feel that the letters of congratulations I received were a nice touch, and I appreciated them. The one that I remember most (and still get the biggest chuckle from) was the one I received from Governor Rose Mofford. Not bad for a kid who didn't even live in Arizona!