counselors for many badges

shortridge,

Yes, all Counselors must be 18. As the ACP&P states, "Camp staff members who are qualified in the subject and are younger than 18 may assist the merit badge counselor with instruction. The merit badge counselor or instructor in a particular subject should be available to both individuals and groups." I believe they are referred to as instructors rather than assistants, but probably also go by counselor. As I said earlier, the term "counselor" gets tossed around pretty loosely - hence the CIT. "Counselor" could be a camp staff term totally unrelated to the BSA MB definition.

I have no doubt that every MB counselor at Woodruff is at least 18. Our Troop Guide (camp staff, MB Counselor) was a college student, and he taught Cit. in Nation as well as Camping and Wilderness Survival, depending on where he was needed each week. The Basketry Counselor had recently turned 18 - he was from a unit in our District. There were some under-18 staff on water front, but also many who are college students. Now that I think back on it, the only other place I can remember seeing staff under 18 was in the Mountain Man program, which is the first-year camper T-FC program (they had a lot of staff in this area). No MBs there, no requirement to be 18+ to sign off on advancement requirements.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And as BrentAllen stated, regrardless of the age of the counselor, it is the Program Director's name which went on the forms returned to the troops. I did speak to the PD, and he explained that records are kept maintained at the Council office for many years.

Likewise, I found an error on one of the forms. One scout was not even on the role for Basketry. I had watched him complete his projects before every other scout in his class, and every one was clearly the best done. I brought this to the attention of the Handicraft director (also over 18) and she corrected and signed the form.

My point being (and Brent's, I presume) are that there is s system of checks and balances, which in the case of the camp we attended, appear to have worked very well. I can also attest to the fact that the counselors (and I use the term generally, regardless of age) were the best I have ever seen at any camp. Each facility/camp/council is responsible for their own program; it appears that the one we attended did an outstanding job of maintaining the policies and standards of the BSA. I have not seen this level of conistency at other camps I have attended.