MB awarded without all requirements completed

Wow,

Lot of drama. Actually, the boy AND the MBC are at fault if this is correct. The requirement, as written here, provides the MBC with paper copy of the script for the COH or Campfire Program. If s/he did not see it or read it then s/he is partially responsible.

The first posting says it all: "a Scout has been awarded a MB". The Scout has already been awarded the badge so it can NOT be taken away. If it is found that he lied, and you can prove it, then you can stop progression in the BSA advancement for a while by having the SM have a SM's conference with the boy. The SM should have the boy write a letter of appology to the MBC for lieing and also do the requirement prior to his next SM's conference for rank. But he must be sure that the boy lied first. If he is only sure that the boy did not complete the requirement but not sure he lied, he can have the boy MC a COH or Campfire to complete the requirement prior to next rank SM's conference.

You can NOT take back an award already presented. Just like the MB mills that give kids the Nuclear Science MB in less than a day or First Aid in less than half a day, if approved by the SM and signed by a registered MBC the award must be given.

Just my $0.02

Rick (DAC)

Communication MB! Well, the Scout should have his script he wrote out.

I would agree both Scout & MB counselor are at fault here. While this requirement doesn't require the Scout to turn anything into the MB counselor, the MB counselor should be able to determine if the requirement was completed.

Question - Who is the MB counselor in question?

Sandspur:

The idea Huzzar sitting on this scout's BOR is problematic for a couple of reasons. I think that every scout deserves to have an unbiased BOR. I believe the BOR members should be neutral. They are not there to prosecute the scout nor be his cheerleaders. They should be asking questions and listening to answers and basing there decisions on what is said in that room. If it were me, (and I was a CC for 5 years and chaired a bunch of EBORs) I would not want to sit on the BOR for a scout against whom I had a preconceived bias.

The other reason is timing. Huzzar might not sit on a BOR for this scout for quite some time, maybe a year or two. However this is resolved it will be ancient history and to hit the scout with this issue (no matter how richly Huzzar might feel it is deserved) is not dealing with it in a timely manner.

If I were Huzzar I would politely decline to be on a BOR for this scout.

Again, my two cents.

Hal

MBC is a parent whose only role in the Troop is as MBC. He does not attend trips at all as he is not an outdoors person (in his words.)

There definitely is no script and there was no campfire program during the trip in question.

Yah, it's a word to da SM and then work on the committee to deal with MB fairs and such, eh?

I'm with ghermmano, this is in part an issue with da MBC that needs to be addressed with the MBC. Trust is nice, but when workin' with kids there's an element of "trust, but verify." ;) A MBC's duty is not to check boxes, it's to work with a lad.

I'm less sanguine about da notion that somehow the procedures prevent us from doin' what's right for a boy in a particular case. Often in cases like this, what's right is to work with the boy so that he gets da full benefit of the badge. If that means holdin' up the award until he does so, or makin' him go back and actually do the things the badge indicates that he did, so be it. We learn honor when we're young because folks care enough about us to hold us to bein' honorable.

Beavah

I like what Beavah and Rick said, and I like my original advice: SM conference between the SM, the Scout, and the MBC in question. Let's see if the young man will show some integrity.

This goes back to one of my hobby horses: The Scoutmaster is the gatekeeper. If a MB mill is off the tracks, why use it?