Eagle Project - Tax Deductible?

"Just da right thing to do, eh?"

No, it's not. Yes of course support Scouting and Eagles and kids and all that. All well and good. But support adding an unfounded assertion of tax deductiblility in a donation letter? No, not trustworthy. A donation is not deductible just because you want it to be.

Folks just don't get the option to decide what is "charitible" and what isn't. Otherwise the law would simply be "if you consider it charitible, deduct it".

Beavah,

not sure what I'm missing?

You post:

" is to treat such donations as scouting donations, which should be tax deductible."

If you are offering tax advise?

What should be?

Doesn't come into play.

The IRS does what it does within the rules that are laid down.

We are left with what is.

No one is saying that we want to place anything in the way of the Lad doing the project.

I'm sure we all wish him nothing but the best.

If you are saying that all donations to scouting in your view ought to be tax deductible?

Then you are not offering any advise just an opinion.

I not 100% sure, but I seem to remember that here in PA there is something that prevents one Charity using funds collected and donating it to another charity.

Which would or could make things difficult were a Council to collect donations and then give them for the benefit of say the YMCA.

Being morally right is great, but when you get audited?

Might not carry that much weight.

Eamonn.

Yah, Eamonn, I am never offerin' advice on an anonymous internet forum that crosses myriad jurisdictional boundaries in its participation, eh? ;) So everything is just an informed and reasonable opinion. :) You're welcome to believe that da laws in your state prohibit community foundations and the United Way (which exist solely to transfer charitable donations to other entities). I reckon you're welcome to believe in Martians too, eh?

------

Yah, FScouter, the antecedent to the implied indefinite article in "[that's] Just da right thing to do, eh?" was the previous paragraph - "if I were an adult workin' with him I'd help him by doing what I could to further enable tax-deductible donations rather than try to get in his face over technicalities most adults don't understand."

Are yeh really saying that you think the right thing to do is to get in the boy's face over being "untrustworthy" rather than help him?

------

Anyway, us3packrats, why don't yeh tell us who the CO is and who the boy's project is for, and then we can give yeh a real answer and stop da nattering nabobs of negativity?

Beavah

The CO is a church and the project is being done for a park controlled and owned by a local township.

I really don't believe the Scout meant to misrepresent anything.

He was probably told to include that by one of his parents.

The recipient of the letter seemed to feel the same as Shortridge, it made him question other details.

Whether he decided to donate or not, I don't know.

My interest is for future reference to other Scouts in the troop.

Helping a kid with his Eagle project is surely a good and noble thing to do. What is wrong is advising (suggesting? opinionating?) 10,000 forum members that giving money to the kid for his project is a charitible donation within the intent of the law. And to further tell us to not worry about claiming a (illegal) deduction because the average IRS auditor isn't likely to question it is just plain wrong. Certainly not in keeping with our mission of making ethical choices.

" You're welcome to believe that da laws in your state prohibit community foundations and the United Way (which exist solely to transfer charitable donations to other entities). I reckon You're welcome to believe that da laws in your state prohibit community foundations and the United Way (which exist solely to transfer charitable donations to other entities). I reckon you're welcome to believe in Martians too, eh?

When I sent the application in for the Ship to get 501(3)© status.

A mission statement had to be provided, along with the bylaws of the organization, so while the United Way and other foundations can transfer funds to other organizations, not all can.

Have to say that I find the:

"I reckon you're welcome to believe in Martians too, eh?" Comment a bit over the top and totally uncalled for.

Eamonn

I was just pointing out why such an error would matter - because it calls other information into question.

Again, I disagree. If the Scout got the wrong advice the only thing the Scout should have done was verify the advise he got!

I'm a glass half full but.