The line between being a Mom and Scoutmaster

To say something to him about staggering the number of boys is a bubble call. Yes you want him to learn by doing and have to figure out how to fix his problem of too many at one time and not enough jobs, but I've reviewed many an Eagle Project write up and seen things like "I've going to do X" and you know that he is going to have a certain tool in order to do "X" but it isn't mentioned anywhere in the write up so you bring it up rather than letting him get to the execution stage and everything halts because he doesn't have and can't easily get the tool he needs.

Actually, I'm amazed at how much he's organized on his own. Working with the Railroad Museum Director, the city to arrange for a dumpster, a private contractor he's arranged to come with his Bobcat to dig up the old sidewalks, the guy donating the bricks and another donating sand.

He makes a lot of phone calls when he gets home from school and before I get home. He's home this week for spring break and happily the weather is going to be terrific tomorrow and Saturday.

He just sent me an instant message. He's frustrated. Seems everyone is responding to his emails, facebook invite, etc. He's getting calls on our home phone, his cell phone, emails, and instant messages all from guys wanting more details - what time should I be there, etc.

His IM to me said he can't believe how hard it is getting all these guys organized. Hmmm, seems his older brother, Eric, said the same thing when he was doing his project.

Proud Mom and Proud Scoutmaster.

What an amazing weekend! Project started Friday afternoon with the arrival of a bunch of Scouts with work gloves and shovels. Patrick had arranged for a generous Scouter to come with his bobcat to dig up the old sidewalk. Scouter and bobcat had not arrived, so Patrick got the guys to start busting it up with sledges and hauling the pieces to the dumpster.

Then the bobcat arrived. I could tell Patrick was relieved. Not only did our fellow Scouter make quick work of digging up the old sidewalk, but he took the time to dig up one of the areas in the gardens that the Director asked to have removed. Not part of Patrick's project, but the Director figured if the bobcat was there and the Scouter was willing - why not?

Guys proceeded to dig up the areas the bobcat couldn't get to, smooth out the walkway and get it reasonably level. Friday night's work was done.

Saturday morning's arrival saw the huge pile of sand that our very generous fellow Scouter had delivered before our arrival. Wheel barrows and shovels and lot's of helpers moved the sand to the project site and hours of shoveling and compacting began. All the while, Patrick's tension was rising. The bricks had not been delivered yet.

He called a few times but only got voice mail. At about noon he called again. I overheard his call and cringed. He said something along the lines of "I thought we had agreed you would deliver the bricks today at 9:00." Not the best way to deal with someone who is donating the bricks and delivering them. I thought to myself, well buddy, you may have just kissed those bricks goodbye. Much relief on his face when he got a call around 1:00 that the bricks were on the way.

Scouts and adults came and went through the day. One of our new ASMs is a general contractor and gave Patrick great advice. The boys worked hard. It was a long day. Many of the parents that dropped off their sons hung around for a while to watch. I received very nice comments from them. Most were amazed at the Eagle project process and were impressed.

The railroad museum and trains were open on Saturday and lot's of folks had to walk through the work area to get to the trains. The conductors told the visitors that an Eagle Scout project was in progress and to watch their step. That was cool. I had a chance to talk to the conductors and both were Eagle Scouts and thanked us over and over again about doing work for the museum.

I took pictures - that was my #1 assignment. Patrick also asked me to keep the time log of the guys that showed up and when they left. I sat in a lawn chair and stayed out of the way. Really was a great way to spend the day, sitting in the sun, watching the action, talking to the parents.

The sidewalk is a little over half way finished. Patrick will have to ask for more bricks and sand and schedule another work day.

Speaking as a proud Mom and proud Scoutmaster, he's done a marvelous job so far. Just the look on his face at dinner last night, I can tell he's proud too. Eric (Eagle 2001) came home from college to help. That pleased Patrick more than anything.

• 2 months later...

The project was finished beautifully, nice article and pictures in the local paper. Son had his BOR on June 4th and I received his certificate and medal last week. He is working all summer at scout camp so he has no idea yet that his award has come from National.

I think he'll be a bit disappointed that his certificate is signed by President Bush. No, he can't vote yet, but he really got into last year's campaigns and the election and was excited about Obama being President. Said it would be cool to have his signature on his Eagle certificate. Oh well.

Tell you what, wait about a year, call Irving and ask to speak to someone about getting a replacment Eagle Certificate, and you will get one with Obama's signature.

I know an adult who is in his 60's, has a

"replacement" Eagle Certificate with every president's name since he received his rank. You pay for the certificate et al, but I thought it was an interesting idea