badges that should be eliminated

Yah, hikin' only 5 miles on Saturday would be pretty borin', eh?

Interestin' discussion. I have to agree with Tahawk and others about Wilderness Survival MB. And about MB pamphlets in general. I reckon one pamphlet in five is really worth very much, and we do an absolutely lousy job of keepin' the faster-moving fields like computers, cinematography, etc. up to date.

These days given the sorry state of the U.S. Patent and Trademark office, we could have thousands of scouts earnin' the old Invention MB. :p

My biggest issue with the program is what some others have mentioned in terms of MB counselor / camp quality. One of these days I'm goin' to compile a video from a mess of ECOH where Eagles talk about the "best" badges as being the ones where the counselor was really hard and they had to work for the badge, and the "easy" and summer camp badges being "worthless." Maybe we can make it part of required MB counselor trainin', and encourage units to show it for new parent orientations.

Beavah

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say it largely depends on the counselor and the resources available. Some "camp badges" are excellent. One of my council's camps has a great sailing program - it's located on the Chesapeake Bay. The other usually struggles with sailing, as there's very little wind that comes up the creek. It's great for paddling, though.

IMHO, camps should pick a few merit badges that best fit their layout and resources. If you try to offer everything under the sun, you'll just become a mill. But if you specialize and put effort into a few excellent programs, you'll get a really good reputation.

I'm not a betting man, but I would wager this: Chances are if your Scouts are getting a sub-par merit badge program experience, the class is being taught by someone aged 15-17, whose experience with the subject could range from master-level to "I skimmed the pamphlet on the walk over from the dining hall."

I know that as a 14-year-old summer camp CIT who was "teaching" Basketry and Indian Lore, I didn't do the Scouts in my classes justice. I knew that back then - I was assigned to teach them with 12 hours' notice - and I know it now. But by the time I was an area director at 18, I knew the skills and the program inside and out.

There are exceptions to every rule, of course. I knew quite a few "underage" camp counselors whom I would trust with my life, let alone teaching a Wilderness Survival class. But generally speaking, we do both staffers and campers a disservice by putting inexperienced, poorly trained teenagers in charge of merit badge programs that we require an experienced adult to counsel away from summer camp.

My best advice is that if your Scouts are complaining about the quality of the program, and you get involved, the camp should take it very seriously. Especially in these times, they can't afford to lose a paying customer. Make your concerns known.(This message has been edited by shortridge)

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't drop any merit badges, only add to the list. Part of what we are supposed to do as scouters is expose boys to things they may not otherwise have an oportunity to experience. If a kid gets to build a shelter and sleep in it, he may not directly get much out of it but maybe we have given him some confidence in himself or maybe he learns that those little red ants bit....HARD. If a boy takes Reading, is there something he learned in a book he read that may steer him down a path less traveled?

That being said, I feel most merit badge requirements could use some seroius overhauling. BSA needs to be thinking ahead of the curve instead of always playing catch-up. (my 2 cents worth)