Eagle Project frustration

I have a scout whose Eagle Project is building a message board for the local fire department. Project was approved by the chief last year and its nearing completion.

The problem we are having is getting contact with the Chief. The Chief volunteered to supply the paint and some other materials for the project but we can't get ahold of him ( a painting crew is all set to work tomorrow ). The scout has emailed him numerous times ( 10+ ) called him numerous times (10-15 times ) , both at work and on his personal cell phone and has had one email reply and one callback.

Today, he got an email, the Chief told him to stop by before 5pm today, so my scout went to see him ( 4pm ) and we was gone for the day.

I am furious but am holding my tongue.

I want to write him a terse but polite letter about his rude behavior but I'm the SM not the scout working on the Eagle project, so I'm thinking I should leave it to the scout to work this out.

Our troop meets at another firehouse under the Chief's jurisdiction so I don't want to jeopardize our arrangement.

Where does an adult step in to assist? Do I write the letter or let the scout handle it?

Comments?

Adult step in to assist? ABSOLUTELY NOT! This is an excellent opportunity for the scout to demonstrate his leadership and overcome this obstacle. Council the scout, but don't do anything more. Make sure that he includes this problem in his write up. What an excellent chance for him to tell his EBOR about the issue.

After its all said and done, if you really must, you may have a word with the chief. However, that might backfire. I'd just guide other candidates from working with him in the future.

(This message has been edited by gernblansten)

Yep, the posters have the right answer. Stay out of it unless the boy is considering a solution to his problem would be to pull the fire-alarm. I'm sure the Chief will be there johnnie on the spot, but it may not look good in the Eagle project write-up that the boy had to sit in the jug for a night in oder to get the paint. :^)

Stosh

Gern seems to have a handle on the situation. The issue is not the paint ( my gosh if it were just that simple! ), its the utter rudeness and non responsiveness of the Chief that has my shorts all scrunched up. My scout has tried repeatedly to contact him regarding not only the paint, but for materials used for the message board, which the Chief also said he would supply. Other communications such as asking for him to come by to check on the status of the project, etc... were all ignored. I realize that the man can be busy, but to ignore dozens of contact attempts is just plain wrong.

So when the project is done, how are we to expect it to get signed off? He should have delegated this responsibility to someone else if he wasn't wiling to follow through.

Here's the kicker for me. The Chief has 2 Eagle scout sons and is a Silver Beaver recipient in our council. So much about being courteous. Aaaargh!

We had a similar runaround for a scout trying to get approval for a project by the city open space committee. After months of being strung along, he finally gave up and started another project. Needless to say, when a scout proposes something that needs that committees approval, I warn him and council him to consider other projects. As for this Chief, I'd be talking to others who might consider projects with him, even from other units. I think he'll find nobody beating down his door to get stuff done.

When the project is finished and the Scout tries to get a signature, suggest that he also ask the Chief if there is a Deputy or Station Chief who could sign for the Department Chief.

Definitely warn other Scouts and any other SMs or parents that consider working with the Fire Chief that the man is very busy and can be extremely hard to contact at important points in the project.

Yah, I'd be willin' to cut the man a bit of slack, eh? Judgin' courtesy sometimes can't be done unless you're walkin' in his shoes. These days, lots of fire chiefs are lookin' at monster cutbacks in budgets and the prospect of layin' off a lot of their friends and colleagues. The man might also be strugglin' with other issues at home. When you're puttin' in really long days on really hard problems, sometimes your energy level doesn't match your good intentions.

This is a problem for the Eagle candidate and the Eagle candidate alone. Honestly, it's as much your business as whether or not your wife's niece gets invited to da senior prom. You might join your wife in wishin' her beau were more forthcoming, but it's not your place to get involved.

Yeh don't mention how big your town is, CA, but our council's experience has been that workin' with bigger city government entities is a real pain in the kiester for lads. Some troops steer boys strongly away from projects that require dealin' with big-town bureaucrats for that reason. NFPs are a better bet.

Beavah