Merit Badge Counselor registration

This question if for anyone with a better understanding than I on the Scoutnet database system.

Our registrar told me last week that the system only allows her to register MBCs as a 42, which is a district (not unit level) position. Therefore, all MBCs must be available to all scouts.

I am not knocking our registrar (she is a friend), but is this really right, or is something being overlooked?

As far as I know, MBC is a district/council position. So, therefore you must be listed as available to all Scouts. But, you don't have to work with any Scout that you don't want to. If a Scout calls you, just say no if you don't want to work with him.

I have been a MBC for over 3 years now, and have only gotten calls from 4 Scouts outside of my own troop. And these 4 boys, I just happen to be friends with their parents.

ccjj

As a merit badge counselor you are registered through the counil it is not a unit position. However you have the option oin the MB councelor form to select to have your contact information avaible throughout the District or counil or just at the unit level. As a counselor you can choose what scouts you want to work with.

Thanks for the info. What I am trying to rectify (in my head) is on BSA form #34405 just above the bottom where it gives the options: "...to work only with insert unit number." or "...to work with all units."

If the system has no way to differentiate this information, why include it on the form?

" 'If the system has no way to differentiate this information, why include it on the form?'Which "system" are you refering to?"

I am talking about the Scoutnet (or what ever it is called) database used by the council.

Again,I was told that if someone turns in a registration as a MBC (along with form #34405) with the portion at the bottom indicating they only want to work with Troop XX, that is "ignored," as there is no way to indicate that as the registration is entered into the computer.

MBC is entered with a position code 42, which is a district level position, so they cannot be solely registered under the umbrella of the troop. If there is no way to indicate troop preference, then how does one find only those persons registered to teach for "their troop."

We had a recent "situation"; nothing serious, but it raised eyebrows, the way it played out. Oneparent (whosesonlacked one specific MB for Eagle) announced they would be hosting a "class" on a particular date. [all red flags aside, it worked itself out better than I expected, but hear me out] I checked Troopmaster, and she was not listed as a MBC for that MB. I accept that her background makes her qualified, so I called the scout office and we looked at the "troop" files and could not find her listed. I discussed the matter with 2 other members of the troop committee and the SM and we were all concernded. She called me with a related question, and I worked the conversation to MBC registration. She ensured me that she had been to the scout office a month before and verified that she was registered as MBC for said badge (contrary to what I had found out). I remained non-confrontation about it (I am glad I did!) and when I was in the office a few days later, I talked to the registrar about it. We determined that she is registered as a counselor for that badge. Of course shewas listed as a district volunteer,and notunder the umbrella of thetroop. The registrar told me she had no way of recording that any counselor interested in serving a particular unit instead of the entire district.

To reiterate my point, why does the form allow this distinction between troop and all, if there is no method of recording this?

I also serve on the District Committee, though in training, not advancement. I am working through the issues and trying to find an answer I can present to the committee on this, hopefully by our Novmeber meeting.

I don't know what other districts out there do. In mine, each SM gets an updated MBC list a couple times a year. On that list, EVERYONE registered as an MBC is shown, but the list also includes a column asking if they will counsel outside their troop and a Y/N response. That way the SM (should) know not to send a kid to a counselor who doesn't want to work with scouts outside a particular troop.

But no, MBCs do not register as unit-level volunteers even if they only want to work with a single troop. (On the other hand, many MBCs are also registered as ASMs and committee members so they might be on unit rosters in those other capacities.)

Lisabob,

Is that form distributed by the scout office? Is is generated from Scoutnet? If it is, then there must be a way to record that in Scoutnet (which I have been told there is not).

On the other hand, if the list is maintained as a separate document, that is another issue entirely. I don't think we could make that work here in our council, knowing our office dynamic.

"...does the MBC have to turn in to the District an adult app every year?"

That's a good question, OneHour, and I will share what I know. I just looked up Merit Badges in the Advancment and Committee Policies and Procedures guidebook. It states that the district or council advancement committee should send out a letter annually to invite MBCs to contintue their registration. That opens up other doors, through which I do not really want to walk. One person at our council office (not our registrar), said she would re-register them each year (which I believe she can and will). That kind of blanket statement resembles sinkholes which can swallow up whole houses.

In other words, I think each council handles this as they see fit, which explains my particular situation, as in the big picture of budget, program, units, and budget, MBCs are lower on the council's priority list.

Interesting. This came up in another thread too awhile back. In my council, you don't have a choice about who you work with. You can say no to a specific scout, but it says right on the form that your information will be available council-wide. You also don't have a choice about having your information published on the MBC web-site maintained by the council.

I counsel four MBs (the maximum allowed by my council) - I think about 1/3 of the scouts I've worked with have been from outside of my troop.

Actually, you do have a choice - you can choose not to be a MBC.

Vicki

You can check with your coucil's registrar as to whether the contact lists are generated by Scoutnet or not. The BSA does not require a MB counselor to renew their membership annually as long as the council sends them a leter asking if they intend to continue as a councelor, and the counselr agrees. Once the lapse of the list opfr evena year then a new registration is required.

BW