Scoutmaster Conferences

What Barry said.

As someone said here: If you think you don't have a Unit Commissioner, well, you really do have a Unit Commissioner: The District Commissioner has direct responsibility for any unit which does not have a UC or ADC assigned!

If your UC is the Invisible Man, the DC might want to know that.

Lastly, if you get pushback on this, or if you don't get CC support (from what you've said, I've written off your COR for the moment) before having this meeting, (and either might happen), then it comes gut-check time: Is it worth your energy to push this noodle without support, or is it time to let this troop be a mill, and find a Troop which understands Aims, Methods, and Program just a tad better?

What Barry said!

EagleDad: Thanks. That may help. I think I need to meet with my CORs first. If they are not in agreement then this would just be an unneeded disruption. My son will finish his eagle next month and has already decided that he is going to transfer to a crew. At that point if the CORs is unwilling to make the changes I'll just submit my resignation and go find a pack in need of a Cubmaster (the most fun job in all of scouting). But if the CORs back me then this meeting would be the next thing to do. One COR may but even be aware of the issue. He doesn't come to ASM meetings and I don't recall talking with him about it. There is another old committee member I need to speak with as well. IIRC he is on one of the national committees and that couldn't hurt.

BW,

I'll be meeting with the CORs. Believe it or not, this isn't my biggest frustration. It is just the biggest I feel comfortable discussing and I really am wishing I had choosen a different username.

jet

I am confused. What CORs? COR is the commonly used but incorrect code for CR or Charter Organization Representative of which each charter organization has only 1.

If you mean committee members (MCs) you might consider not wasting your time. Committee members should no more be running a committee than assistant scoutmasters should be running a troop.

There are three people that lead a troop The CR, the CC, and the SM. Everyone else is in support of either the CC or the SM.

As long as you try to solve these problems through their version of scouting rather than the BSA version of scouting you cannot hope to change things.

Good Luck

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I am confused. What CORs? COR is the commonly used but incorrect code for CR or Charter Organization Representative of which each charter organization has only 1.

Okay CR, I didn't know there was an official code, or at least what it was. The registered CR goes back in this position for many years. We've changed CO since he started, and he has continued in that position. But he is not a member of the CO, best that I can figure is that when we changed they just didn't change his title, I've no idea why. Think of him as "Lem". He mostly works with the OA but he still provides guidance to the troop. He is the one I've not discussed the SMC issues with.

The adult that is a member of the CO and who is the one in contact with the IH and functions as the CR is registered as an ASM, again, I don't know why. He is the one who does our SMC training. He understands my issues and is coming around, but slowly. My guess is what it will take is being confident that the scouts are learning the skills. He came to the last half of our Trail to First Class camp so he knows that at least the new scouts really are learning it. That will make it easier.

Well, I met with the CR and senior ASM(for lack of an better title) today. They say that no one has been able to succeed at having the scouts learn the stuff without retesting at the SMC, but that if I can get the program to the point where this is happening then they are willing to stop the retesting. Fair enough. Next the ASMs.

If the scouts are going to the ASM's house for the conference, how do you avoid 1 on 1 situations? JUst wondering, do they have to bring a buddy or a parent?

The parent may stay (you cannot exclude a parent from a scouting activity, if they want to tag along to their son's ordeal you have to allow them). I always invite the parent to stay but they rarely accept. If the spouse of the ASM is a registered leader then you are still covered. On occasion, another leader will come over as the second adult.