"Yoda? Doesn't quoting fictional character portrayed by puppets put you into a whole new category of nerdiness? "

nah. I already am pretty much on top/bottom (depends on how you look on it) of the nerd chain. I already moderate a forum about scouting and expect participants to follow the scout oath and law and am constantly surprised and disappointed when unscout like behavior occurs

then again, what is the difference between nerd and dork? Thats ok, I admit to being both...

Too much here to digest for me. There's layers of complexity starting with did the young man or did he not have Advancement Committee chop to begin his project execution.

I will let the local Council and its Advancement Committee sort this one out.

I will say one thing: There's a tremendous amount of emotion invested here. It's time for all concerned to step back and have piece of pie.

let's not forget geek.

From Wikipedia: "a peculiar or otherwise odd person, especially one who is perceived to be overly obsessed with one or more things including those of intellectuality, electronics, gaming, etc...The terms nerd and dork have similar meanings as geek, but many choose to identify different connotations amongst the three terms, although the differences are disputed."

Afraid I have too much free time this morning. :-)

See, I have never thought of it until a few weeks ago when I was described in an introduction as being an "Old School" scouter. It was said with respect, but I thought I was a pretty modern kind of dude. I use E-Mail, can pretty well handle most computer programs and trouble shoot my work computer lest some IT help desk monkey gets his paws on it.

The introducer said I was old school because I know my knots, can do all the lashings and can make a pretty mean fire in under 5 minutes without accelerant. See, I thought I was just up to First Class Scout skill level.

When I hear the term "geek" I think of a guy biting the head off of a live, fairly small animal. In the traveling carnivals it was usually a chicken, but then the great Ozzy Osbourne stepped it up a notch and used a bat. As a child when I learned about Geeks, I asked my mother what would make someone want to bite the head off of a live animal. In the great tradition of depression era raised children she never skipped a beat, she just said maybe the person just wanted to be sure he got at least one meal a day. So, I may be a dork, and a nerd, but I am not a geek, at least not yet...