Farm Mechanics Badge in NCAC

My suburban scout wants to earn the Farm Mechanics badge because he is weird like that. I'm kidding, he just wants to do it just because he is who he is.

In any case, is there anyone in the NCAC area or even further who knows a farm that would let him do the reqs on their property? We live close to DC so it's not rural near us. He of course would have a blue card from his troop properly signed from his ASM with an MBCounselor to sign off on reqs. I am willing to drive him a healthy distance to where he needs to go and of course stay the entire time to chaperone for safety concerns. The FM reqs does look like it would take a couple of lengthy days vs. a DIAD kind of badge

I am sure he can rope in a fellow troop member or 2 if that would help

I'm a Farm Mechanics MBC in our district. It doesn't take having a farm to be one, just having the machinery to demonstrate and have the scouts work on. Now I live in a rural area, not a city slicker, so what we find normal around here might be mighty strange for city folk. Its basically a machine shop safety curriculum.

Any shop that works on agricultural or heavy equipment might be a good source.

When I counsel a scout, I have them design a safe shop, repair some broken equipment, give them a demonstration on welding, design and build a shop gadget. Have them perform some maintenance on my tractor. Endless lubing, checking, lubing, tweeking, lubing on that beast.

Hint,

not familar with the requirements...even "out chere" in the sticks most of our boys never get aound to Farm Mechanics, but...

what are you near in NCAC... are you in VA or Maryland?

As a "virginney boy" I could recommend a couple of machinery shops in Leesburg or Warrenton or Manassas...they'd propably help or he can come down to my place and putz on my 50hp new Holland....'bout an hour or so "south" of the NCAC HQ.(non rush hour drive time) let me know if I can help...

anarchist

Anarchist,

Thank you so much! I pm'ed you my email addy.

We live in Fairfax County so anywhere in Loudoun, PW, Fauquier is easy. If your troop would certify you as a MB Counselor for the Farm Mechanics Badge, I will take my kid and at least another one (to meet the chaperoning safety rule) to your farm. An hour or even more driving distance is fine as my scout's schedule is fairly flexible in the summer afternoons and pretty much all day on Sunday. I know nothing about mechanics so I won't be of tremendous help but of course I would stay so we meet the BSA safety regulations.

Here is the link to the specific reqs. http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php?title=Farm_Mechanics

1. List 10 common tools found in a well-equipped farm shop and explain how to safely use each one.

2. Do the following:

a. List ten safety devices in a well-equipped farm shop and explain the function of each.

b. Demonstrate proper safety apparel and equipment to be worn and used when operating a grinder, wire-brush wheel, welder, or drill.

c. Draw a plan showing a well-equipped farm shop. Point out mandatory safety devices and features in the shop.

3. Explain how power is produced or transferred in a:

a. Diesel engine

b. Hydraulic system

c. Transmission or any other power system.

4. Do TWO of the following:

a. Replace the handle on any tool found on the farm.

b. Build a tool rack with storage for nails, bolts, nuts, and washers.

c. Properly grind the mushroom head off of a chisel or punch.

d. Correctly grind or file a screwdriver tip.

5. Do ONE of the following:

a. Make the necessary adjustments to ready a piece of farm equipment or machinery for field operation.

b. Choose a piece of farm machinery or equipment. Check all nuts, bolts, and screws. Tighten any that are loose. Replace those that are missing, worn, or damaged.

c. Repair broken or worn farm machinery or equipment.

Make a list of safety precautions for adjustments or repairs you make for requirement 5.

7. Do ONE of the following:

a. On an engine-powered machine: grease all fittings, change oil and oil filter, clean air cleaner, flush cooling system, clean radiator fins, and replace diesel fuel filters.

b. With any farm machine, do a daily service check for field use. (Do things needed for best field performance.)

c. Prepare any farm machine for winter storage.

8. Visit an implement dealer. Interview the dealer, technician, or service manager for hints on good preventive maintenance. Ask why it is important. What are the costs? What happens that causes wear or damage? Report what you discovered.

9. Explain each step in ONE of the following maintenance procedures:

a. Tightening hydraulic fittings

b. Servicing spark plugs

c. Lubricating a clutch-release bearing

d. Cleaning a work piece with a wire-brush wheel.

It almost looks as if the scouts did 1, 2, 3 by using the FM MB Book (the little red pamphlets) before meeting with you and were able to visit the implement dealer (#8) in the morning, then the rest could be completed in one or 2 days. I'm not sure if the MB Counselor would have to go with the scouts to the implement store or if a scout could go without a BSA adult and write up his findings for the MB Counselor.

Please check your PMs.Thanks again!

--------------------------------------

Hint,

not familar with the requirements...even "out chere" in the sticks most of our boys never get aound to Farm Mechanics, but...

what are you near in NCAC... are you in VA or Maryland?

As a "virginney boy" I could recommend a couple of machinery shops in Leesburg or Warrenton or Manassas...they'd propably help or he can come down to my place and putz on my 50hp new Holland....'bout an hour or so "south" of the NCAC HQ.(non rush hour drive time) let me know if I can help...

anarchist

Hint,

I used meritbadge.com and .org for many years when National wouldn't put Requirements #33215 online.

They have now.

Here's the link, for yours and your Scouts reference ...

http://www.scouting.org/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/MeritBadges.aspx

Farm mechanics, within that list, is:

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/advancementandawards/meritbadges/mb-FARM.aspx

John,

The FM description and reqs in your link and my link match so at least I know I have the correct version of the requirements. Thanks for sharing another source! :)

Not another source.

The official source ... the Boy Scouts of America website

Meritbadge.com had its day. I'll admit it, I used it, and gladly. If it wants to shift to providing Counselor resources, I'll be glad to support it again.

For the requirements, a Counselor who is online (vice who uses hardcopy still), as well as a Scoutmaster who has tech savvy youth, should point the kids to the BSA website. Period.