Recongnize Thrice _ Citation Needed

acco40 said "A Scout is supposed to be recognized thrice. First, the day he earns rank (after BOR) via an announcement by the troop leadership. At the troop meeting immediately following by way of presenting him his rank patch (give the advancement chair or whomever a chance to go get the patch), and finally at the next COH."

I firmly believe that this is the best way of handing out rank advancement. It is not something IIRC that was done when I was a youth but it makes sense. I'm hoping someone can point me to a specific piece of BSA literature that says this.

TIA

Actually, I can't find a reference for "thrice" in either the ACGP&P or The Scoutmaster Handbook. They both say the same thing and only mention two recognitions - "as soon as possible", and at a court of honor.

Immediate recognition and court of honor recognition is discussed in the Troop Committee Guidebook and the Scoutmaster Handbook. It also happens to be mentioned in the Advancement Committee book, (which is a recommended resource listed in both the Scoutmaster Handbook and the Troop Committee Guidebook.)

"So something that Unit level Scouters should do is detailed in a publication aimed at district and council level Scouters that happen to sit on the Advancement Committee? Am I the only one that thinks this is odd? "

That's a publication for unit Scouters.

Myabe they told us that at Scoutmaster school. I know that it was written somewhere otherwise I wouldn't have change out troop procedures to work that way.

In the last edition of the Scoutmaster Handbook says that once a Scout is certified by the BOR that he should receive his patch ASAP, usually at the next troop meeting and later recognized at a formal COH.

By extension, that gives us three times UNLESS we leave the Scout hanging after the BOR. "Okay Johnny, we'll let you know at the next troop meeting." If you tell the Scout that he's advancing, that the first time. Give the patch, that's number two. COH, number three. Unless, of course, the COH and troop meeting are the same event.

You will find it in Chapter 10 of the Scoutmaster handbook as well as in the Scoutmaster Leader Specific Training.

Two of the three times are spelled out but the first of the three is assumed.

Immediate recognition upon certification from the board of review (a hardy handshake, and some encouraging words would be appropriate) and I believe it is such a natural thing to do that it is not spelled out in the handbook.

The second is the presentation pof the badge at the next meeting, the third is presentation of the pocket certificate at the quarterly court of honor.

Yah, twice is all that's listed in the literature.

I was always in favor of da notion that a boy should be publicly awarded his badge that same night. He gets to wear the badge as soon as he has earned da rank. And if your BOR was at a troop meetin' (as most are), yeh announce to the troop that night when you present the badge.

Second recognition at a Court of Honor (often with the rank award card).

That was what all da literature had for quite a while.

This "three times" thing only got started when some councils started (at National's promptin') demanding Advancement Report Forms before they would sell da rank badges. So that meant da first recognition was reduced to a hearty handshake, and the boy then didn't get recognized by the troop or get his badge until the next time he was at a troop meetin'. Sometimes one week, sometimes a few weeks.

Despite those odd councils, I expect a lot of troops are still doin' "instant recognition" and awarding the badge the same night from a "supply" they maintain. ;) That to my mind is more in the spirit of the thing, eh?

Beavah

When I did advancement first recognitions was the "Congratulations, you're now 1st Class Scout," second was the patch presentation at the following troop meeting, third was at the COH.

Even if the BOR is at the troop meeting (IMHO that's baaaad because it detracts from the troop meeting), the first still occurs when you say, "Congrats . . ." unless you want to leave him hanging which would be hazing.