New requirements at TF, 2C, and 1C

I know some new requirements went into effect this year for the lower ranks (TF,2C, 1C). When a Star, Life, or Eagle candidate presents for a SM conference, could he (or should he) be expected to answer to those new requirements?

A SM conference can include a review of all ranks up to the one you are conferencing for, right? Would that include new requirements that weren't in effect when you are at that rank?

I'm new at the Boy Scout end (crossed over from Cub leader). I have taken SM Fund. and IOLS training, but this has just come up. I have my own opinion on whether or not this is appropriate, but I'd like to hear yours. Know of anything written in stone? I'm going back through my SM training manual to see what I can find.

clyde

This is taken from the BSA Publication Advancement Committee Guide, Policies and Procedures 33088Econcerning Scoutmaster Conferences:

Scoutmaster Conferences. One of the most enjoyable experiences of being a Scoutmaster is the opportunity for a Scout and his leader to sit down and visit together.

In large troops, Scoutmasters occasionally assign this responsibility to assistant Scoutmasters or members of the troop committee; but this is unfortunate, because most Scoutmasters feel that this is truly the opportunity to get to know the Scout and help him chart his course in life.

A good conference should be unhurried. It helps the Scout evaluate his accomplishments and to set new goals with his Scoutmaster. This can be accomplished at a troop meeting, camping trip, or in the Scout's home.

Goal setting by the Scout makes it possible for the Scoutmaster to help the Scout with his weaknesses and encourage him to use his strengths.

The Scout (joining) conference is probably one of the most important associations a Scout will have in his Scouting career. It is at this conference that the Scoutmaster illustrates to him the adult-youth relationship that is unique to Scouting.

All through the ranks, it is rewarding for the Scoutmaster to observe the Scout grow in responsibility and maturity. It is through this association and example that a young man grows and matures, and the Scoutmaster conference accomplishes that aim. (See Scoutmaster Handbook, chapter 8.)

Nothing is said about a review of past requirements. The topic of bullying is certainly a topic worthy of discussion in a scoutmaster conference, not as a way to "pass" the requirements, but as a discussion point to get the youths views and input(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

Anything other than possibly mentioning the new requirements and asking the young man his thoughts about them then using this discussion as part of the overall review wouldn't be right. BSA rules on Advancement are clear that if you are already past the rank where new requirements are added you don't have to go back and do them.