Let us talk about "Test"

"The review has three purposes: (the first of which is) To make sure that the work has been learned and completed"

That seems pretty simple to me, too, eh? :) From the very same book no less.

Rules & Regs has "In Boy Scouting, recognition is earned through... proficiency in activities related to outdoor life, useful skills, and career exploration."

So the standard is proficiency, and the BOR's first task is to make sure the boy has learned to proficiency.

Yeh don't have to agree with it, or like it, or as we see from the occasional Badge Mill yeh don't even have to comply with it, but that's the BSA's program, too. :)

Beavah

(This message has been edited by Beavah)

As a Scoutmaster, I look at a BOR somewhat differently. It is an evaluation of the advancement program itself - the program that I have responsibility for.

So, yes, it is quite fair to "test" a Scout by asking him to tie a bowline. However, the purpose of that test is to obtain input so that the BOR members are able to objectively evaluate the advancement program of the SM. Insanescouter got it right. Now, if the Scout in question is going for 1st Class and the requirement for tieing a bowline is signed off in his book - no ifs, ands or buts about it - he has completed that requirement. If the Scout doesn't have the foggiest idea how to tie a bowline in the BOR the board needs to judge if that is due to nerves on the Scouts, slopply requirement sign-off procedures, skills not really being taught, a skill that has been forgotten, etc.