Multiple Ranks at one Court of Honor?

We've had a young man who's a real go-getter and has completed the requirements for Tenderfoot and Second Class within a few weeks. There has been some suggestion from our more seasoned Scouters that it is not proper to award Tenderfoot and Second Class at one Court of Honor. As CC, I can find no bar to this, since, unlike the higher ranks, there is no "time in rank" requirement, and assuming this scout completes his Scoutmaster conference and passes a board of review for each rank, I see no reason why he cannot be awarded both ranks at the same Court of Honor, even though he will have served no "time in rank" as a Tenderfoot.

Views on this?

We've had scouts do this and never had a problem with it. Why would they NOT want to recognize this hard working young man? What, should he wait 3 or 4 (or more?) months until the next CoH to give the appearance that he advanced more slowly than he really did? Nope - not in my book - we recognize scouts as quickly as possible for their achievements because for most kids, seriously delayed recognition is not as meaningful or powerful a motivating force. Let this boy have his moment to shine.

All 3 of my sons were awarded 2 ranks at one COH - for all of them, it was 2nd class and 1st class at the same time. Since boys work on the requirements for Tenderfoot, 2nd and 1st all at the same time, this is probably a frequent ocurrence - my youngest finished 2nd class the week before summer camp and 1st class at summer camp (all he needed was the additional troop activity.)

this is from the BSA website on Advancement:

First, the Scout learns. Much of his learning comes from other boys in his patrol or troop and by active participation in troop program. His patrol activities are directed toward the skills he needs. Every troop hike, camping trip, or other activity offers potential learning experiences. A Scout learns to pitch a tent by pitching one, to use a compass by finding directions, and to cook a meal by having to prepare and eat it.

Second, the Scout is tested. The specific requirements determine the kind of testing. Verbal testing is sufficient in some instances. In other instances, a Scout must demonstrate his skills by doing.

Third, the Scout is reviewed. The purpose of the review is to ensure that all requirements for advancement have been met. This includes a check of the Scout's attitude and practice of the ideals of Scouting, in addition to his Scoutcraft skills. The decision regarding whether a Scout has met the required standards to qualify for rank advancement begins with the troop and, for the Eagle Scout rank, is approved by the district, local council, and finally, the National Council.

Fourth, the Scout is recognized. The final step in advancement involves presentation of the badge, usually at a ceremony before the entire troop.

http://www.scouting.org/factsheets/02-516.html

I didn't see anything regarding awarding one rank at a time, he learns, is tested, reviewed and recognized.

Yah, onehour...

I'm all in favor of well-reasoned local variations, eh? But at least on first impression, that's just dumb. I dunno what they're thinkin'. Boys receive two ranks at a single court of honor all the time. Happens now and then in every troop I know. Heck, if some troop has been holdin' a kid waitin' for him to do one pullup, he might earn Tenderfoot, 2nd Class, and 1st Class all on the same night when that pullup gets done. ;)

Of course we recognize all a boy's achievements when it comes time to bestow honors. Is there some reason in your troop's culture why that wouldn't work? How would that ever help a boy to grow and achieve.

From what you indicate, he did serve a few weeks as a Tenderfoot. I hope yeh gave him his Tenderfoot badge right after he earned it (like we all should). Then he had at least a few weeks with it on his uniform for fun ;).

Beavah

onehour...,

So, if this "go getter" completes his 1st Class requirements before the next COH, will they make him wait to get his 1st Class recognition at the following COH?

I see only the potential to demoralize the lad and make him feel like he shouldn't have bothered to try so hard. Reward him and make him feel special for trying so hard and accomplishing what he has...

ASM59

I think philosophies have changed over the years (even if your long-term scouters haven't).

I think the preferred practice now is that the rank patch is presented immediately following the BOR (same night). The COH is where he gets the formal recognition, card and parent's pin. Instant recognition...

Rank patch immediately? Not unless you hold meetings at your Scout shop? Officially, you are not supposed to buy rank patches in advance.

A Scout is supposed to be recognized thrice. First, the day he earns rank (after BOR) via an announcement by the troop leadership. At the troop meeting immediately following by way of presenting him his rank patch (give the advancement chair or whomever a chance to go get the patch), and finally at the next COH.

Once upon a time (1968), T was the base rank and T-2-1 were sequential.

This is 2007, not 1968.

If the Scout has done the work, had the SM ConferenceS (note the S, there need to be multiple SM Conferences imo), and BoardS of Review (note the S again), then finish the process OGE showed you and give out the awards.

Yes we are slothful here and have courts of honor only twice per year we had one boy get all three ranks at one court of honor his mom was real busy. He already had finished tenderfoot right after the previous COH and at summer camp finished up second class and first class. They had a little extra motivation there was a special trip for First class and above with swimming merit badge and snorkeling patch. Four days in the Florida Keys hunting for lobster with side trip to key west, sea base, and a boat trip to the reef. They just got back Sunday.

We have recognized multiple ranks at the same Court of Honor. One of the things to ensure that the boys get to wear their "new rank' as soon as possible is an informal recognition and then a more formal one. We present the boys with their patch informally during the following meeting, and then present the rank card at the formal court of honor.

It seems most of our boys get motivated to really push for advancement just before 'big' events. Gotta have the higher rank to go to district camporee or summer camp or whatever event outside of 'normal' troop activities. Even my son did this, had his star board of review three days before leaving to go to Jambo. He had the time, was enjoying Scouting, but after the last jambo shakedown, decided he wanted to go as a higher rank, so got his papers together and asked for Scoutmaster conference and Board.