Eagle Scout Advancement and Leadership

... continuing with Eagle Scout Advancement but addressing LEADERSHIP as opposed to POR.

I feel strongly that an Eagle scout should show appropriate leadership skills, ie making good decisions, leading his troop/patrol, initiating activity, helping out in various situations etc.

I have a young Life scout who is a merit badge monster. He is 13 and has close to 20 merit badges already.. He has held the Librarian and Scribe POR in the troop and has done a good job. I think, but cannot confirm, that Dad is helping him out on the POR stuff. But I will take him at his word and try not to think about that.

My problem is that he is reluctant to take charge of anything regarding the rest of the scouts. He has not held a PL/APL position, but is now being thrust into the spotlight as our ASPL is moving away and he is moving up to fill the position.

I am trying to work with him ( and 2 other reluctant scouts ) to move outside their 'comfort zone' and work on their leadership skills.

Have you had similar experiences? What specifically have you done with scouts to get them to step up? I'm looking for real world examples.

thanks

Some scouts especially younger ones have no desire to be PL or SPL. I think it comes from observing the torment they and their mates put these guys through. My son did a six month stint as patrol leader and that is why he says "never again they did not listen to me." I try to tell him he needs to lose the dictatorial attitude but that is how 12 year olds "lead." Give em a few years they grow into it SPL's are much better at 15-16 than earlier.

You can talk to the dad (family) and make sure they are aware of the role that the scout is supposed to take. And then you can open to door to opportunities for the scout. If he has THAT much initiative, I say "Good for HIM!"...and good for everyone else as well.

But if his leadership skills need some work, then the training certainly is one way to help. It may be that he needs to be more mature....but jumping into the position may be just the thing that brings that maturity.

Working with people is always difficult and he will need to develop coping skills as well as decision-making and problem-resolution skills. It may take time. though, and the interactions with the other boys will make a big difference. Give him a chance, though, and he might come through just fine.