I have a Wolf who has completed nearly 70 electives, and is one part of an achievement from his Wolf badge.

I want him to keep his enthusiam and pride, but I how do I encourage him without making the other boys (and their parents) feel bad?

He also would like to complete all parts of the achievements. Has anyone ever given out a special award for that? It's common with the Webelos pins, and I've heard of it being done wtih Bears, but not Wolves.

After he finished his last part of the Wolf achievement, I'm going to head him into the direction of belt loops and pins. He isn't very interested in doing very many more of the electives.

Have him help the other scouts - part of giving goodwill. It will help reenforce what he's already done/learned and help the other boys at the same time. From an adult standpoint, the Wolf program is quite simplistic. From a second grader standpoint, it still could be simplistic. It's gonna depend on the boy.

Get him learning and teaching new knots. The beltloops and pins can help him discover new areas of interest but can get expensive quick if he's gonna do them like his electives.

You also should check the How-To book for other ideas.

BTW, our oldest son, now a Life Scout, earned 7 arrow points as a Wolf.

Maybe point him toward some other awards like the conservation award, the outdoor award, etc.. If there is a BSA historic trail nearby that would be suitable for a 2nd grader, turn him on to that. Check this link: http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/trails/

These are activities that take a little more involvement over an extended time period so he's less likely to burn through them (heck, he could do umpteen beltloops in a weekend if he felt like it, and rkfrance is right, these get very costly for a pack, very quickly).

You might also have a quiet conversation with this boy's parents. Sometimes boys who are on a tear like this are genuinely motivated and that's great - encourage that if it is the case here. Sometimes this is a matter of their parents not understanding the program and pushing their kid to "get" every possible shiny award. That requires a gentle re-education. Sometimes kids are being pushed so hard that they burn out and quit the next year (what's new? they've already "done" everything!). On the other hand, sometimes parents are so excited to have a structured reason to do things together with their child that they just really get into it as a family - something that the cub program is designed to encourage.

If you can get a feel for what the dynamic is with the parents, it may help you figure out how to approach this in a constructive manner.

As for the other boys - don't worry too much about them. Make sure they are recognized for what they do. Make sure you recognize quality as well as quantity (this is no race to accumulate). Make sure you recognize "good turns" and service to others (in ways that 2nd graders can "get") and you'll be fine. You can use inexpensive den doodles that may be as prized as any "official" awards for some of these.

What Lisa said.

For all the folks in your den, including the Wolf, his parents, and the other Cubs: a gentle story about the race as opposed to the journey would be in order.

We want these young men around for many years. If they drink deeply of the well that has Scouting, we'll have some great young folk when they're ready to turn 18 and start taking their stations in life.

One of the reasons why this boy go so far ahead was that over Christmas break, he was sick. His parents decided to make the best of the time, and work in the book. I wish more parents thought this way!

As with many policies in our pack, we don't have a policy on belt loops and pins. The parents of this boy don't have a problem paying for them themselves. I got tired of asking to committee about them, and now that the boy has them, other boys are wondering why he makes clinking noises when he walks. I tried to pitch it to the committee as motivation to have boys tuck their shirts in. (I'm hoping that when get get a new CC this year, I can begin to implement some written policies.)

This boy has also completed his LNT Awareness, CS Outdoor Activity Award, and is well on the way for Emergency Preparedness. We're just waiting for the cold Michigan weather to leave so we can do conservation projects. I have two planned already. Funny thing about the CS Outdoor Activity Award - he completed all the requirements in June, July, and August just by going to Partner and Me, resident camp, day camp, and the pack picnic.

The parents are not pushing the boy - he's doing it to himself. He wants every single award. He wanted to do all the requirements between June and August. The parents are doing what they can to pace him out.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with him, but I think for now I should have him give goodwill. This boy tends to be a follower more than a leader, and this would give him a chance to experience leading.

Thanks for your input!

Hi,

Your over achiever might check into the Religious Awards program. The program is done at home in conjunction with the families' church or religious institution. It took my son a couple of months to complete as a Bear.

Isn't there also a Scouting Family Award?? I vaguely remember seeing it in the Scout Shop... Anyone else heard about this, or had a scout go through it?

One other thought... this boy might benefit from being a denner for his Wolf den, with age appropriate responsibilities.

Good Luck!

He has already been denner; we rotate it around. I let him do it first to set a standard for the other boys.

He did the family award last year, and I'm sure that his family will do it again. I had to get on the committe about the program. I got them to agree that if the family bought the book and did it, the committe would buy the recognition. So far his family is the only one willing to spend the few dollars for the book and acutaully do 10 things together.

I don't think a religious award is appropriate for them (I've already asked). They are definitly reverant, but they choose to practice in their home and in their lives rather than in a church (kinda like home-churching), so they do not belong to a church. The mother was hurt very badly by a church growing up, and she won't go back to one.

Hey Spongebob, didn't realize you are in MI too. Check out the Clinton Valley Council's "Michigan Badge" for cub scouts. Actually it dovetails nicely with some of the bear achievements and also with the current 4th grade social studies curriculum (state history). But if you're looking for things to keep your wolf occupied, this might be an option. Here's the link for the requirements:

http://www.cvc-bsa.org/pdf/TheMichiganBadgeRequirements.pdf

Depending on where you are in the state, you might want to keep an eye on CVC anyway - they have a Chief Pontiac Trail "Little Brave" program that encourages an understanding of local history and gets the kids outdoors. It has been a couple of years since I looked closely at it but I recall it was nicely done and you don't have to be a part of their council to do the activities. Here's a link to that program too, if you're interested.

http://www.cvc-bsa.org/cpt/littleBraveManual.html

I was planning on covering the Michigan Badge next year. I want it to complement their studies of Michigan in school.

We do the CPT stuff. We've been on a few events. It's a bit difficult for us though, since we are not in CVC, and all the programs must be held in CVC-area parks. What the problems ends up being is:

1. Tour permit required for all the events.

2. At least an half-hour drive, and parents are paying for gas.

3. 5 of the 7 boys in my den (including my own) are in wrestling with the tournaments and weigh-ins on Saturday and Sunday. I may be able to get back into it in March when the season ends.

I really like the CPT program. We've visited Kensington Metro Park for maple sugaring last year, and the parents had a blast (so did the kids). We also went to Camp Agawam to see Fort Pontiac for the Friendship Rendevous. My DE heard about the event and how much fun we had there. My boys were Tigers then and they loved throwing tomahawks, watching a muzzle-loading demonstration, and listening to a Native American in Revolution-era dress.

I will say that I have been blessed with very willing parents. Each boy still has parent with them at every outing, and at most den meetings. The whole family is invited to most of our events if it is possible. I have a Girl Scout sibling who likes to earn the CPT patches, since it is also open to them.