Unusual awards for Cubs

Besides rank requirements and electives, my husband and I enjoy finding "unusual" awards our Cubs (now Bears) can earn. Since they were Tigers, our den boys have earned their LNT, World Cons Award, Crime Prev, Emerg Prep. Award, U.S. Heritage Award. Plus they love belt loops and pins. Last year we earned our "Scouting the Internet" patch (March was "Computer" month). This year we spent September (Western Round-up theme) earning our Lewis and Clark Peace Medal from the Grand Teton Council BSA. Do any of you know of other "unusual" awards we could incorporate into our den activities? I'm looking for programs that have 4 or 5 requirements to complete to earn a patch or something similar.

I know it's not about AWARDS, but these are the kinds of things that keep our boys fired up. They appreciate being recognized and it adds a fun and new element to our meetings! Besides, they've all finished their Bear rank requirements already (2 summer camps helped a lot!). We still have plenty of arrow points planned, but does your council have anything unique we might try to complete? We are in Georgia, so it can't be anything like "hike a portion of the Sante Fe Trail" :-) But our boys do love a challenge!

P.S. I'm new posting on the forum, but I've been reading all your great posts for about a year now! I finally got around to registering myself - let the fun begin!

clydesdale115

Cub Scout Outdoor Award

Religious Awards

Check your local resources before you start looking at out-of-state ones. You might be surprised how many there are. Your local council might have a listing.

Junior Ranger Program - GA State Parks

Programs for Youth/Scouts - Museums, Zoos, Nature Centers, Planetariums, Conservatories, etc.

Also, keep in mind that they still have 2 years to go as Cubs. If they feel they have "done it all" they might not stay in to discover what Boy Scouts will bring!

William T. Hornaday Unit Award

A Hornaday unit certificate, No. 21-110, is awarded to a pack, troop, team, or crew of five or more Boy Scouts, Varsity Scouts, or Venturers for a unique, substantial conservation project. At least 60 percent of registered unit members must participate. These units may be nominated, or they may apply to their BSA local council for recognition.

Thank you everyone! Wonderful ideas! As for the "Support Our Military" patch, Ft. Benning Army Base in GA has a walking/ hiking tour Cubs and Boy Scouts can take on-base that will earn them a patch through that Council. The boys stop and learn about monuments, history, important battles, etc. We're going to do that when we are Webelos!

Thanks again...

clydesdale115

GopherJudy - The Suffolk County patch looks terrific! Several of our boys have dads in the Air Force here in GA so that'll be right up our alley - that's just what I was hoping for! Over the next few weeks, we're going to make sure we do 4 of the 7 requirements for our boys to earn that patch. Thank you for sharing! I hope your Council gets several other requests as a result of your post ~.~

Any others? I like the idea of the Junior Ranger program. In fact, I picked up some info at our last Pack campout, but we haven't started the requirements yet. This is great - thank you all!

Also, I highly recommend the Lewis and Clark shoulder patches and Peace Medal from Grand Teton Council. It was a great program with level-appropriate requirements (and a lot of fun, at that!). Hope they are still offering it. We did it in September. It's worth the effort. We hung the Peace Medals around our boys' necks at the Pack meeting - they were beaming!

I don't think we're trying to do too much - just trying to keep a bunch of Scouting over-achievers fired up - and having a great time doing it!

clydesdale115

Glad you like the idea & were able to check out the patch on the Council's website! Good luck! The Webelos were very proud to receive the Support Our Military Patch & other boys in the pack received it in November. I will have my Tigers work on it - the flag ettiquette & folding - in May when it's closer to Memorial Day, our pack marches in the parade & Flag Day, we go & participate in a flag retirement ceremony.

Let me know how the boys do in earning that patch.

Judy

Catholic scouts can earn a rosary patch (I guess any could techically earn it) from the National Catholic Committee on Scouting. I suppose other religions may have some special awards in addition to their medals. I would recommend that each scout earn the religious medal that is associated with his faith as well.

BTW, the rosary patches are big (6"?) and have 4 colors or more. Very cool patches. One for each year and they rotate through the Mysteries.