I'm a new SM and trying to rebuild the troop

I took over this troop after the old SM in 20 months drove the troop into the ground.

They do not camp

Is there a list of scout camps in the US by state?

Thanks

P

Working my ticket

I find it kinda hard to get. We use a lot of State Parks. To be honest Google Maps works pretty good--I have found new parks faster that way.

No camping?! What happened? Even car camping is better than no camping.

I guess to be an optimist think how excited the boys will be when you introduce the fun part!

As much as many of us beat up on our Councils, try to find out what your Council Camp is and start out there. Even if Summer Camp is over, most Council camps can be used for Troop Camping for either no cost or a very small fee.

State Parks.

State Conservation areas - check with your Department of Conservation, some reserved areas require special permission or special use permits but are still free.

Friends of the Troop or Chartering Organization (CO) who own property they'd let you use - in some cases ideal for primitive camping as they like that you are cutting their overgrowth for the purpose - check what the use parameters are with them first.

I would try canvasing some of the neighboring Troops for what sites they prefer. I have found that our neighbor Troops use a whole different "constellation" of campsites. Can get some good ideas on good doable trips.

Start small and build upon success.