X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger Bus

Okay Okay I know some of ya will think it is Crazy..
    I have been eyeing Passenger buses on Ebay..
    I think it would be a great Idea.
    Would consolidate number of Vehicles needed..possibly even the Trailer..plenty of Cargo space in Most..I have been looking at 48+ passenger buses
    Make long Trips easier...especially if Bus has Restroom.
    More Fun...DVD and Music equipment.

As Owner I could also rent out the Bus.
    Would allow me to decorate with graphics

Can you afford the insurance policy for a 48 passenger bus.........not to mention the maintenance and DOT inspections.

Then think about an accident and medical bills for your personally owned Bus.

the level of personal liability is more than what I can stomach or afford.

Comment

You're right. It's crazy.

Comment

With the cost of insurance, maintenance and gas for the typical bus, it would be far easier and cheaper to charter on an as needed basis. If one were "donating" the bus, it would be easier, cheaper, and safer to donate the cost of the charter. Don't forget with a 48 passenger bus, you will need a commercial license as well.

I would never do this.

Comment

Take it from one who works in the industry---it IS crazy. The insurance, maintenance, fuel, and repairs (and they are constant!) will kill your troop budget! My advice, if you're licensed to drive a "Class B" bus, you're better off renting as needed from a local school bus company! Also, buying any kind of vehicle on Ebay is NEVER a wise idea! In my troop, when the need arises, the boss donates the bus, the driver (me) works for free, and the Troop pays for the fuel used. And my daily driver(which is an '08) gets a whopping 8MPG!
          Last edited by FrankScout; 07-29-2013, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• ssgjbroyles
            ssgjbroyles commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like my '06 snub nose...LOL

We're planning this route for my pack. Either myself or my girlfriend will drive (volunteering our time), pack gets a 50% discount

My old church tried that approach. They saw charters and rentals as money down a rat hole so they bought a bus. When the costs of maintaining it, insurance, finding a driver with a commercial license, etc. all started to roost on their budget, they began to see charters and rentals in a brighter light. The bus eventually was used for Sunday-school classes and later it was sold for whatever they could get for it. That was quite a while ago. Many years later, the idea came up again to 'save' money by owning instead of renting a bus. LOL, they almost did it again!

Comment

My Dodge 1500 4x4 Quad Cab get 10.5 Miles per Gallon. been looking around at other places Besides Ebay for a Bus. The Buses I have been looking at have passed Inspections. Several Groups have asked about charters if I do get one..so could pick up a few dollars here and there to cover some of the Costs. Been looking at several Conversions also. A Converted Charter is Cheaper than some many used RVs..added benefits no more Tent. haha. Still depending on How Many times it can be used it might be okay. I agree if it is used 1 or 2 times to Travel it wouldn't be worth it.

Comment

• King Ding Dong
              King Ding Dong commented
              Editing a comment
              Ad a kegorator and some removable brass poles and you could make some good coin on bachelor parties. Just sayin.

Years ago, the first time gas spiked to $4, there was a thread here about a unit that bought a fleet of gas guzzlin' SUVs (Suburbans, Expeditions, etc.) on the cheap. wOnly driving them once a month or so, gas economy wasn't a big deal, but the initial investment was relative low, insurance (especially compared to anything more than 14 passengers) wasn't crazy, normal drivers' license was good enough and one vehicle generally equaled on patrol. I didn't run the numbers myself, but it was an interesting idea.

Comment

Well I will say that a Single bus would come in Handy this Weekend..Close to 30 Scouters Going to Turner Falls Ok... 206 mile Round Trip..& 7 Vehicles Total.. 12.50 Per Night Vehicle Charge.plus 12.00 Per Night Per Scouter.. Luckily Half the Scouts are not going..If We had the Bus we would Be out just about the same Amount of Gas I will use on my Pick up based on the Estimated MPG given Earlier. We would be down to one Vehicle. We could run the Theater and My CPAP off the Bus..Have not decided if I will pony up the 25.00 per night additional if I can get an RV spot with Water and Electricity..Otherwise I will just run it off the Pick up power converter.. 7x12.5x2=175. New Troop so No Idea how Gas Mileage is Paid..But I figure around another 175 if troop reimburses everyone.. So 300...granted this is just one trip Even if 1 More Scouter would have gone we would have had to have 1 more Vehicle.

King Ding Dong.. I am looking Around 10,000 for the Buses I have My Eye on, Saw several Converted Party buses they start around 45,000.. but only carry about 25 Comfortably. I am sure Alcohol consumption would run up Insurance cost more than a troop of Scouts

I have Manged to get the Meals down to $10.00 per person but we still need Ice and a few More Essentials

Ewww just had an after thought...Could eliminate the 7 Ice Chests and coolers with a Refrigerated unit in one of the Holds

Comment

• Basementdweller
                Basementdweller commented
                Editing a comment
                You didn't actually say theater did you?????

• Basementdweller
                Basementdweller commented
                Editing a comment
                So are you scout master?????

Why are you planning the menu?

Our troop has "Scout Fun Trips" and this is one, this Camp out The Adults do all the Work and we treat the Boys to special events. Instead of Individual patrols we are just camping as one.. And Yes I said Theater. I have a Projector, Laptop and sound systems I use. We will be showing a Movie on Friday and Saturday Night. I also set the system up in the front yard and show neighborhood movies. Right now I project on a White King sized sheet. Eventually I want a Blow up screen. It Can do a 27 wide x 15 high projection. We may be showing a movie at Cub-N-Pal to The Boys . I am the Troop Adult Quartermaster and a Committee Member. I love to cook so instead of parents doing the buying and cooking I volunteered.
              Last edited by jpstodwftexas; 07-31-2013, 02:32 AM.

Comment

So the "fun trips" are the ones where you abandon the BSA program? What does that say about the trips where the Scouts plan things, cook for themselves, build fires, go climbing, hiking, canoeing, etc.?

Yeah, absolutely spend the extra money to get the party bus.

(Sorry, labeling the anti-Scouting activities as the "fun stuff" is a pet peeve of mine.)

Comment

• perdidochas
                  perdidochas commented
                  Editing a comment
                  How do you do the scalloped potatoes and ham? Sounds like a good one to add to our camp repertoire.

• jblake47
                  jblake47 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ingredients

2 tablespoons butter
                  2 tablespoons flour
                  1 1/2 cups milk
                  Salt and pepper
                  1 tablespoon butter
                  2 medium onions, thinly sliced
                  4 large russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
                  12 ounces 1/4 inch sliced baked ham
                  2 cups grated cheddar cheese

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. (Do in a Dutch Oven) Butter a baking dish. Make sure your DO is well seasoned, add a bit of oil to make sure. In a saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium high heat. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove saucepan from heat and whisk in milk. Return pan to heat and bring to a simmer while stirring. When sauce has thickened remove from heat, season with salt and pepper and set aside. In a skillet, cook onions in melted butter until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper. Spread 1/3 of the white sauce in bottom of baking dish and top with half of the potatoes. Spread out half of the onions, ham, cheese And another third of the sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Continue layering ingredients, ending with the remaining cheese on top. Bake for 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly.

You can also use SPAM instead of ham.

• FrankScout
                  FrankScout commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That recipe sounds great! Consider it shared!

Originally posted by jpstodwftexas View Post
                Our troop has "Scout Fun Trips" and this is one, this Camp out The Adults do all the Work and we treat the Boys to special events. Instead of Individual patrols we are just camping as one.. And Yes I said Theater. I have a Projector, Laptop and sound systems I use. We will be showing a Movie on Friday and Saturday Night. I also set the system up in the front yard and show neighborhood movies. Right now I project on a White King sized sheet. Eventually I want a Blow up screen. It Can do a 27 wide x 15 high projection. We may be showing a movie at Cub-N-Pal to The Boys . I am the Troop Adult Quartermaster and a Committee Member. I love to cook so instead of parents doing the buying and cooking I volunteered.
                Your "Scout Fun Trips" sounds like Cub Scouts. We do occasionally cook for the boys, and have special events (have shown movies at campouts), but honestly, I'm too lazy to set up the tents, etc. for a troop of boys.

We just had a fun campout. First, the scouts got to set up tents and lanterns, then they played some field game (maybe Manhunt). They cooked themselves breakfast in the morning, and cleaned up after themselves. Then we played in a small river/kayaked/ziplined/blobbed (inflatable thing that allows one person to propel another into the air into the water). Had lunch. Played some more. The boys made themselves dinner and cleaned up afterwards, then they made a small fire, played some "Capture the Flag" and went to bed. IN the morning they made breakfast, cleaned up. put their stuff up, packed the trailer and went home. Was a fun campout, but then again, all campouts are fun. The fun in camping is the cooking, and doing things around camp. I know that's why I do it.

Comment

I'm voting crazy.

A passenger bus cannot ford a river of make it over "kelly-humps." In fact it can't go a lot of places. Do you really want to limit the boys scouting experience to places with pavement because that's only as far as the bus can go?

Comment

• jpstodwftexas
                    jpstodwftexas commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ummmmm... We don't off Road..Vehicles stop in Designated Parking Areas..off Roading is done by foot, by bike, by boat, by horse or by pack mule...If the Boys go hiking They go on Foot From Designated Drop off Points..If They want to do A River Crossing they do it on foot or by Boat..A Bus will get the Boys to any Camping Area we go to right Now. A Bus will not limit the places the Boys will go for Scouting Experiences. They want the Grand Canyon a Bus Will get them there. If They Want Yellowstone a Bus will get them to the Park. They want Northern Tier Bus will get them there..staff will get them everywhere while at Camp, same with Florida sea Base, or even Philmont

• Khaliela
                    Khaliela commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The same cannot be said for this area. Most camping is done on State Lands or in National Forest, which means logging roads. The engineers don't use a lot of culverts here, so logging roads mean Kelly-humps and fording creeks and rivers. We also have good mix of snow and mud on the roads well into June; I don't expect your bus will handle well in wet, sloppy snow. We don't "off-road" either, but a bus wouldn't be able to get you to a camping spot given the condition of the roads and if you could get to a spot you wouldn't have room to turn that bad boy around!

If you want to do your camping on pavement so be it; but just because it's dirt doesn't mean it isn't a road.

• Kristian
                    Kristian commented
                    Editing a comment
                    im also voting crazy. there is no way owning a bus makes economic sense as a scout group. some of these trips discussed here seem less and less like an actual boy scout activity and more like a cub scouts. likely looking at some patrol method deterioration as well.

i would also have to agree with the fact that buses just aren't conducive to camping. most forest roads are small, winding and some aren't paved. you will go off the road and will not get that bus back on easily.

finding a place to park that buss in the woods isn't going to go well either, trailhead parking lots are notoriously small, oddly shaped and unpaved.

That sounds like a really really BAD idea....be sure you check insurance costs, I don't think it's as low as you think it is to get the necessary coverage for a bus full of youth. And if you are renting this out to drive other people around, that means you are a commercial bus operator, which may require quite a few city or state permits, as well as storage facility for the thing.

Comment

The nightmare would be a used bus breaking down in the middle of nowhere on a Friday night headed to an outing

Comment

Working...
                    X