SM discouraging Summer Camp Merit Badges

I agree with Hunt and EagleInKY regarding this topic. Scoutcraft, waterfront activities, almost anything active are all fine at camp. But I observe boys who pursue certain MBs and complete all the requirements at camp in spite of the fact that this is impossible without prerequisite work (absent in each case). Beyond doing a poor job, these MBs are being awarded without actually meeting the requirements. But because a council-approved counselor has signed the sheet, our hands are tied.

Some of the boys even brag about this fact to the other scouts, making it an even larger problem. My conversations with the camp staff have produced no changes.

At the troop meeting last night, the Scouts discussed what Merit Badges they'd take at camp. There was a wide discussion, with many considerations, and advice from adults and other Scouts. No scout was prohibited from taking any MB (unless it had a prerequisite), but some were encouraged and others discouraged. Some examples of advice (some taken, some not):

"If you take Riflery and Archery, you stand a big chance of just getting a partial in both."

"If you're a Patrol Leader, you may not want to take a MB class that starts at 9:00, because that's when campsite inspection is."

"Don't get your heart set on Waterskiing, because they only take 10 each session and give preference to the older boys."

"You might want to do Trail to First Class rather than MBs, since you haven't been to a number of events and still have a lot of advancement requirements to do." (When I called this kid over to chat about what he wanted to do at camp, his first question was, "Am I going to camp? I thought I wasn't going.")

"Don't you think it's kind of lame to only take classroom MBs? Don't you want to get outdoors?"

"Small boat sailing is great, but you have to have Canoeing or Rowing first."

"Several of your buddies are doing Fishing at 11:00--do you want to do it with them?"

"Are you sure you want to do that many MBs?"

"Are you sure you don't want to do one more MB?"

So far, nobody want to do Communications or Citizenship, and there was no issue about the quality of the instruction.

This year, the adult leader who was coordinating summer camp provided each Scout with a note listing pre-requisites (if any) for the MBs he had chosen to pursue at camp. For instance, my son chose Environmental Science, so this week, he is researching and writing his report on an endangered species so that he can take it with him to camp.

Most of our guys select MBs like riflery, archery, swimming, sailing, etc., that will be fun and keep them outside.

Elizabeth

SR540Beaver;

My comments in my last post were not directed at you; if you check the post times, we were both writing ours at the same time -- you clicked "submit" just a few seconds before I did. Rather, it was a general comment intended for those leaders who complain about summer camp programs, but who also do nothing except show up and expect to be catered to all week -- and that's knowing full well how much advance work it takes to get a council campsite ready for summer camp and to deliver a program while camp is underway.

I've found there's a direct relationship between the willingness of units and their leaders to pitch in and help, and how receptive council staffs are to those unit leaders' suggestions for improvement. And, if you're within a large coffee cup's drive from your council camp, like I am, there's really no excuse not to get involved. Bottom line: if you're on a first-name basis with the camp ranger and Council Camping Committee chair because you've cultivated a relationship with them throughout the year, your unit will have a much better time at summer camp. Using goodkidsmom's situation as an example, if the SM thinks the program is deficient, offer to help with it by putting older Scouts on camp staff, providing feedback to the program director, volunteering to be the District rep on the council camping committee, or offering up leaders to help while at camp. In my experience, the staffs welcome the help and constructive comments.

"One hand washes the other, and both hands wash the face."

Sorry if I offended you...

KS