Testing/Signing Off Advancement Requirements

At present, I am a Troop Committee member in a small troop of about eight Scouts. The Scoutmaster has encouraged me to sign off advancement requirements, which I do.

On camping trips, troop meetings and such, I observe when Scouts complete various requirements, and then make a point of signing off their Scout handbooks when they are available.

However, it's rare for other Scouts or registered leaders to take the initiative to sign off requirements, except that the Committee Chair works with and often signs off requirements for his son ---meeting standards in a reasonable way, from what I see.

My question is suggestions on how to get other adult leaders and Scouts more active in testing and signing off requirements. We have three Star Scouts and the SPL is a Life Scout. Last night we did a swim at a nearby pool, and the two Star Scouts who were there played by themselves (I scarcely saw them). The SM worked teaching a non swimmer, and I worked at teaching Scouts the Second Class rescue methods (reaching, throwing and such) and testing a couple of Scouts on Second Class Swim requirements and such.

Since this was the first swim I've done with this Troop, I asked the SPL to give me the First Class Swim Test, which was particularly important to me because I have a somewhat injured shoulder that makes swimming somewhat difficult. After he agreed to test me, I completed the test to my satisfaction, only to find that the SPL hadn't bothered to pay attention.

Testing and signing off requirements takes time and is a job, and one that needs to be done competently. So --- what methods do you use to motivate (1) Scouts and (2) adult leaders to participate in this Scouting function?

Seattle Pioneer

We leave it to the scouts who need the requirements signed off to take the initiative. It is their responsibility to ask somebody to sign off a requirment they think they have completed or ask someone to teach them a skill. This teaches them personal responsibility. None of our older scouts or leaders would ever turn down a scout who requests help on advancements. Lastly we encourage the older scouts to do the majority of the signing off. This gives them great leadership and teaching experience and helps them remaster the skills they are teaching.

Although our adults can certainly sign off advancements (and I presume we're talking mainly through First Class here), that's something I expect my Green Bars to do. For one thing, a Scout will probably wait less time for his PL than he will for me. Also, knowing that he may be expected to teach and sign off requirements keeps the Green Bars in their handbooks and their skills sharper. The only limitations are that only the SM or his designated ASM signs off Scout Spirit, and that's done at the SM conference. And, that a Green Bar can sign off advancement only for those Scouts lower in rank than him. For our NSP, the Troop Guide is a busy guy, as it should be.

KS

I'd certainly prefer to have Scouts signing off requirements. But there would be precious little advancement occurring if I waited around for that to happen.

As an example, the troop had a swim at a pool Tuesday. I brought rope, a life preserver and a pioneering pole and instructed and tested several Scouts in the Second class reaching and throwing lifesaving methods. I tested several Scouts on Second Class swim requirements, and myself on the First Class swim requirements, since I'm new to the troop and wanted to see if I could manage with a shoulder injury.

Absent that kind of initiative, everyone would have had fun splashing around in the pool, instead of having fund learning and advancing.

Sometimes I'll wait weeks after seeing Scouts meet advancement requirements before I get around to actually signing them off. The Scouts don't take the initiative to do that themselves as a rule.

I'm satisfied that if I don't take the initiative, not much advancement is going to take place outside of summer camp for most of the Scouts. I'll repeat my question: how do you motivate your Scouts to take the initiative to get requirements signed off, and how are you motivating older Scouts to teach and sign off requirements.

It's just not happening in the Troop I'm working with.

Seattle Pioneer

I'm in the "it's the Scout's responsibility to get their requirements signed off" camp. After all, they are the ones advancing, not us. There are times if a Scout(s) seem to not be moving along, I will have the PL or SPL review their handbook.

Ed Mori

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

A Webelos Den Leader here ...

I haven't heard the "green bars" term before. I take it that refers to an Assistant Patrol Leader, a Patrol Leader, or a Senior Patrol Leader. Is that correct?

Do Assistant Patrol Leaders also sign off on requirements?

For some reason I was under the assumption that the Scoutmaster signed off on requirements, but I wondered how one person could take on such a large task. Use of "green bars" makes a lot more sense to me.

Ideally, First Class Scouts and above sign off the requirements for Scouts through and including First Class. They would also teach Scouting skills to junior boys, test them and sign off those requirements.

Unfortunately, this theory doesn't always work. There may not be any First Class scouts in a troop, or they may be unable or unwilling to do the teaching.

When that happens, compromises may be needed, and adult leaders may need to teach and sign off requirements in order to keep the program functioning.

Seattle Pioneer