Life Leadership Project

To answer Bob's specific question, because I think it was directed at me:

Yes, I vote for people I dislike often. I will do it again this November. I mean not to hijack this thread, and will not respond to further discussion about it, but I held one of the Presidential candidates in very high regard. Now, not so much. Too many half truths for my taste. But I still think he's the better man for the job than the other guy. This has happened more than I can list. And quite frankly, I have NOT voted for people I like. As a matter of fact, our SM ran for a judicial position a few years ago. I think he's a terrific guy. But I've had lengthy discussions with him about some of the most common issue before the bench on which he would have sat, and I disagree with him. Voted for his opponent. And I even told him I did.

I recognize that many Scout age boys are not going to be as noble about their responsiblity as that. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't coach them to be.

As to this exact situation, I stand by the major point of my response. Someone should be helping this boy become electable or appointable to a PoR, rather than accomodating him, if at all possible.

Good weekend all. Between HS football games, two Eagle Boards of Review, a Troop camp improvement project,and a company golf outing, I'll be mighty busy this weekend.

Mark

• 3 years later...

Since this thread has just been brought up from a 4 year drop "below the fold," let's make sure we are talking about the same subject...

DO WE AGREE... that we are discussing a Star Scout, who needs a Position of Responsibility, but the ones your Troop uses are full. Therefore, the SM elects to assign a special task to the Scout in lieu of a POR?

OR!!!!

Are we talking about the service hours needed to move from Star Scout to Life Scout?

If the former, I've seen everything from unit webmaster (which is not a BSA POR) to Mister Fix-It (electricity/plumbing/carpentry) for the Scout Hut. It's a discretionary assignment to allow the SM to fit duties which are not part of Nationals' suite of PORs.

If the latter, anything your Troop does for service projects should count for service hours.

OTOH!!!

If you are talking about a mini-version of the Eagle Leadership Service Project, that's outside the BSA advancement plan. That simple.

A great one that we had a boy do some years back was on a Pinewood Derby car building clinic for new scouts in the Pack. He had so much fun with it that he also helped out with organizing the Pinewood Derby itself! (I think he just wanted to see how the cars of the boys who he helped ran, wink!)