Running my first BOR

I will be running my first BOR today. I've got the committee members lined up to attend. Aside from asking the scout about what they like and don't like about the program can any of you folks offer any sage advice about what questions would most serve the scout and the program best.

BTW we will NOT be quizzing the scouts about the Requirements for their particular rank advancement.

Thanks in advance.

Ken Knasiak

Troopp 90

If you run a Google search on "Scout Board of Review", you can get some sample questions to get you started. Pick and choose what you like. Bob will say that some are inappropriate, and that may be. The questions that are a "trivial pursuit" of scouting, such as obscure facts of scouting history are probably not useful. I use the BOR for probing questions on leadership, family relationships, ethics, scout spirit, career goals, school accomplishments, and goal setting for the next rank. Of course, the BOR for Life will be longer and more in depth than a BOR for Tenderfoot. Ask open-ended questions that can't be answered with a "yeah or nawww." Ask him for suggestions on how to improve the Troop...some of the best ideas come from 12 year olds. Good luck!

Ken,

CONGRATULATIONS! You are about to experience what I think is THE BEST job in Scouting! If I were told I had to forfeit every other responsiblity and priveledge I have in Scouting but one, this would be the one I'd hang onto for dear life. And every time I have the honor of participating in another one, this attitude only grows stronger. I admit that the first few will seem awkward, but as you get comfortable, I really believe you'll grow to love it!

As to questions, I think much of that depends on the age and rank of the boy being reviewed. For younger Scouts, I try to make sure they have an understanding of their relationship in their Patrol, if they know how to make suggestions to their P/L for discussion at the PLC. I ask them to describe their first camping experiences, to make sure that they are making an effort to be part of the Patrol team, and to make sure that they are being given that chance.

For middle age guys, and for guys reviewing for First Class, I stress asking about their views of leadership, and find out where they think they fit in within their Patrol and within the Troop as far as leadership goes. I ask them what they've learned about leadership, who in the Troop and in their personal life has demonstrated good leadership skills, and maybe some examples of not - so - good leadership.

For the older guys / higher ranks, I start asking more probing questions about how their understanding of the Scout Law and Oath shapes their actions. I try to get them to bring out that as a young Scout, the Scout Oath and Law had a rather shallow meaning, but as they've matured, their view has changed. I try to lead them to discuss how they might apply their ideals to everyday teenage decisions. And I always get older Scouts to pinpoint their plans for "giving back to the Troop" in positions of responsiblity.

For all ranks, I ask what were the hardest, easiest, and most important skills they learned. Most often, the answer seems to be that whatever was the hardest is the most important, and I try to lead them to making that connection.

Other than these guidelines, I really have no set list of questions. I'd rather let the conversation go where it takes us. But toward the end, I usually find a place for some or all of the following:

"Who is your hero?"

"What older Scout do you admire and why?"

"If there were a 13th point to the Scout Law, what should it be?" (that's one of my favorites).

"Do you deserve the rank of ____? Why?"

If I can offer one bit of advise, there is a great way you can be much better at this than I am. I dominate Boards of Review, and don't let my partners get in many questions. I know this is a flaw, but I abhor silence in these things. When I've acknowledged that it's time for someone else to junp in, and they hesitate, I can't keep myself from asking the next question. If you can avoid this, you'd start off being way better than me at it.

Good luck to you! I hope you find this process as enjoyable as I do. It really is the best task in Scouting!

Mark

You Guys are the Bomb.

Your responses definitely pumped me up. You've also given me pause to reflect and realise what an important task this is, for both myself and the scouts.

The BOR will be comprised of older veteran scouters and new parents on the committee so it should be interesting. I really wanted to give these folks some poignant conversation starters.

We will be interviewing two scouts for the tenderfoot rank so it should be fun.

YIS,

Ken

Remember Spiney the BOR is to made up of 3 to 5 members of the troop committee only.

For Tenderfoot you need to keep it simple. This is the scouts first board. First learn about the Scout. where does he go to school, whats his favorit topic, who is his favorite teacher and why? How is the homework coming. Tell us about your family, your pets, your hobies. Ask a few questions based on the requirements. What meal did he cook and how dis it taste. What knots did he learn so far, has he had a chance to use them and how? How is liking scouting? how can the troop improve? When does he plan to complete his next rank? What is he doing now to meet that goal.

Good Luck

BW(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Well my dear Spiney, I hope you dont mind if I call you by your first name, you on the other hand may not call me Old. If that's inconsistent, tough nooggies. (sp?)

First off, I cant add to the advice given here for Boards of Review as far as content goes. Remember one of the methods of Scouting is adult association and the Board of Review is an example of this method. I have had many scouts, Eagle or not, mention that college interviews weren't at all intimadating as the scouts had been talking to adults for years in the BOR process. Both you and the scouts should erlax and enjoy it, its will help both ends out if done right.

BTW, as I have commented I am from the Chicago area and have been known to drop a Da, Dees, Dems, and Dose once in awhile. My Wood Badge Patrol is "Da Minsi Bears"

I used to be a Bear, and a Good ole Bear too

Thanks to all. Last nights BOR went quite well. It was a new experience for all particpating save for one veteran scouter. I and the other adults enjoyed them immensely. The second one did run a bit long though.

Hopefully the scouts attending learned as much as the adults.

• 3 years later...

I was looking at some my older posts and thought this one could use an update. It has been more than three years since the troop reinstituted BOR's for all ranks.

Since that time our troop has grown, soon to be 39 scouts, and BOR's are now SOP. We hold them every forth week of the month. The truly amazing thing is that committe members are disappointed when they are not selected for that month's boards. Our troop's eagle coach always checks with me the week before so he can be present for any Life scout BORs.

The scouts have also realised how important the interviews are as well. When a reminder for an upcoming COR is announced I am usually inundated with requests from the scouts for a BOR.

The real fun happens at Summer Camp. We are lucky enough to have enough MCs attend camp that we can and do convene BORs at camp. In fact most of my free time is spent scheduling the SM for conferences as well as MCs for BORs. It got to the point where I had to write out a schedule and post it on the outside of the caibo. The only downside to this has been that since I took on this project I became an ASM and can no longer participate on these boards :(

So, I just wanted to thank you all again for the advice and encouragment.