Tips on taking a donation...

Hi, y'all.

Need your advice on this topic. I received an email from the district chairman that he had been contacted by an individual who wished to make a donation to one of the scout troops in our area. The donation is a ski boat. Laying aside the issue of it being a boat (definition of a boat: a hole in the water you throw money into), what guidelines are there for this situation? The fellow donating it suggested we just clean it up and try to sell it, or keep it for our program. I took our COR, who is a salesman for the local boat/water ski shop with me to look at it, and he thinks we could sell it easily. What I need are scouting guidelines. I know you might need more facts, so I'll answer questions as they come.

Thanx,

bd

Hi...

Call me naive (you won't be the first), BUT... here's what I'd do.

I'd take the boat, give it the boat salesman, have him sell it. Take the money and give it back to the District. They could use it for FOS, or whatever.

Why do it that way. Well for starters, If I were a member of your district and when (not if, but when) I found out that you got such a treat. I'd SCREAM, why do you get all the good stuff? It wouldn't be pretty. Now if someone like me that's smart enough to realize what I'd do before I do it has such a strong opinion on the topic, imagine what you'd get from those that aren't that smart ;)

If on the other hand you protect your district volunteers with the idea that they really gave it to your troop since Mr. Committee Member of your troop sells boats and then you guys turned around and gave proceeds back to district, I might puff out my chest and say something along the lines of "Well OK then"

Really, I'm curious why you guys? If the district doesn't know what to do with the money, offer to help with Council Camp, with Eagle packets, with ANYTHING that helps boys outside of your troop.

This is a time bomb, be careful with it. You don't want to get it on you.

LPC,

I guess there are several things working here for the district chair to think of us. Our district is very large in area, but very small in numbers of troops. The district includes most of five counties and encompasses several thousand square miles, yet there are less than 15 troops in our district. Towns are far apart and very small. Troops that are here are well established, especially when it comes to fund raising. They host annual bar-b-ques at city wide events or have something else that they do every year. Our troop is less than a year old and still looking for something else to do in addition to popcorn sales. The donor of the boat wanted to help a local troop and that means one of three in a 30 mile radius. Maybe the DC thought we could use the help, I can't really say.

Also, our district is in dis-array. We've just lost our DE, and he was the first good one this district has had in several years. He had to move for hardship reasons, and I don't blame him a bit, but once again we're starting over.

Anyway, things are not bad here, scouting is on the rise. I agree with your advise of being careful - that's why I sought the advise of this good group of folks...

bd

Okay, here's the easiest way of staying out of trouble, both from a BSA policy, District & CO. Are you ready???? Turn it over to your CO. Let them do with it as they wish (presumably, to sell it and give the proceeds back to you). This way, you don't run afowl of any BSA fund-raising regs, you won't upset the FOS guy, the doner doesn't have any IRS issues (donations must be to a 501-c(3) agency for tax purposes), and you don't run any risk of upseting your charter sponsor if they don't like what you did.

Hi

The District Chairman in our District isn't such a nice guy, he would have kept it for the Council and used it toward the Project Sales goal. You can't trust them Limeys!!

Being as you didn't go and ask for the donation I don't think that anyone will get upset along with the fact that the District Chair. is the one who got you involved in the first place. The Eagle in KY is right about it being a good idea to have the donation made to your CO. In fact they will be the owners of the boat anyway!! It does make life easier for the donor to deal with the IRS.

From the tone of your posting it seems that you are not a great boat lover, but could it be used to improve your program?

Other then making sure that there are hidden conditions I would suggest that you move fast before someone else does or the guy changes his mind or his wife grabs it. Or you get some darn Limey as a District Chair.

Eamonn