I am preparing to start instruction for the Cycling M.B. I have a couple of questions and I'd like to get some feedback.

The "Boy Scout Requirements 2004" handbook states in requirement 8 & 9 under Cycling:

8. Avoiding main highways, take two rides of 10 miles each, two rides of 15 miles each, and two rides of 25 miles each. You must make a report of the rides taken. List dates, routes traveled, and interesting things seen.

9. After fulfilling requirement 8, lay out on a road map a 50 mile trip. Stay away from main highways. Using your map, make this ride in eight hours.

I have looked at several sites on the WWW and some seem to indicate that the Cycling MB is intended as an on-road only experience. For some (most) of my rides, I plan to use biking trails. These trails are well marked and either paved or chip graveled. They actually show up in my atlas of Illinois, so we can map our route(s).

I was wondering if any of the rides in requirement 8 could be done on the same day, maybe with a couple hour break? There is nothing to indicate that it cannot be done this way, so I am thinking about doing this with a couple of the shorter distances.

Requirement 8 only says to avoid main highways. So I feel confident that we can use the bike trails for these rides.

Requirement 9 states this too as well as that the route must be laid out on a road map. Would this indicate that the 50 mile ride must be on roads? Or since I have a road map that maps the trails, can we use the trails for part or all of the ride?

Any thoughts?

ASM59

Hi. Not to brag, but rather trying to set up some credibility, I am the chairman for our District Merit Badge Pow Wow (we just finished our 19th annual back in March). Questions like this come up all the time from our Counselors. Let's refer back to your training and see if I can help you.

It sounds to me like you are able to help the scouts fulfill the requirements for the badge. As you know a Counselor must not add to nor take away from the list of requirements for that particular badge. However, the way you present that badge and accomplish it's requirements is up to you. (By the way, it doesn't sound to me like you are adding or subtracting requirements.)

So can you do it as you suggest? Sure. The bottom line here really is:

Are you registered?

Are you qualified?

Are you YPTed? (In case you're new Youth Protection Trained, if not talk to your District Advancement Chair, and YELL. You shouldn't be here without that.)

Are you 2 deep? (You are going with these scouts right? You aren't alone with these scouts, right? (See YPT trained, above))

Have fun, and thanks for helping the young men in your area.

Yes, I am YPT'ed

And yes, I think this will be a lot of fun!

Actually, half the fun is watching the faces of the other adults in our unit when I tell them that I need someone to ride 50 miles with us. As of now, I have volunteers to ride on the shorter treks, and they are considering setting up meeting places along our routes on the other treks to trade off riders (they don't think they can make a 25 or 50 mile ride).

Thanks for the info. . .

ASM 59

I will offer another point of view. The responsibility of the scout is to complete the requirements. The responsibility of the counselor is to make the merit badge interesting, informative, and to engage the enthusiasm of the scout in hopes he may develop a career interest of life long hobby from the merit badge.

Certainly having the scout follow a bike path will meet the requirements. But if all his hikes are done on the same surface, on the same path what have you done as the counselor to enrich the merit badge experience?

As a counselor you should be putting more into this than here is the easiest way to do it. Just because you cannot add conditions to the requirement doesnt mean you cannot guide the scout to a more meaningful and interesting experience in meeting the requirements.

By the way you are not required to go with the scout. He is required to do the work and bring his report to you. The only YP you need to know is that the scout must have a buddy with him when he meets with you, and you are not to meet with him unless his buddy is there.

We used to have a Merit Badge Counselor for Cycling that ran the program like a Den Leader. "Okay guys, this is what we're going to do. . . ."

The 50 mile and 25 mile segments used to be done on a tow path which is as flat as a pancake and straight as an arrow. It may fit the rules but it isn't challenging.

Let the kids be challenged. Riding on roads (other than major highways) is fun. You see interesting things. You need to make decisions (left? right?) Stop at the mini-mart and you'll meet new people.

Good thoughts BW & FOG.

I do intend to take a path along a river (about 12 miles) for one of the rides. Lots of character and history that we can discuss and not just flat, lots of ups and downs on hills that can be challenging.

Another of the rides will take us through a conservation area on roads. Again, there are places to stop off where we can discuss some history, conservation, and wildlife.

I like your thoughts about how interesting it can be taking roads and about making the experience meaningful and interesting. You are speaking my language and that is exactly what I want to do.

ASM59

We did just about everything from heavy terrain (short trips in the mtns) to coastline (beach camping at the end). It took quite a while to finish all the trips but they were great fun. The boys were impressed by how much wildlife you could detect on a bike as opposed to an auto. My advice, make sure you take a good first aid kit and plenty of repair stuff. I had to repair 2 broken chains the first trip alone and the boys had numerous flats before we were done. The first aid kit was for me.