In response to FOG's suggestion, may I make a suggestion of my own. Please write to the National Council and express your idea. I know of a number of cases where items have been clarified based on comments from the field, in some cases based on only one letter.

As far as why matters have not been clarified, the National Advancement group probably:

1) Thinks that matters are clear

2) Doesn't know that there is a problem

Believe it or not, National level volunteers and pros are human beings. They do their best but don't forsee every possibility when requirements are scrutinized by millions of pairs of eyes. So if there is a problem, do the courteous and kind thing and help them out.

Personally, I have never heard this Eagle Palm requirement discussed. I interpreted it as not requiring that the Scout hold a formal position in the Troop as he must for Eagle Scout. However, normally I interpret requirements as broadly as is reasonably possible which would mean that leadership outside of Scouting would certainly qualify.

• 4 weeks later...

The Council Advancement Committee voted unanimously (today, May 24, 2004), to overrule the Troop Board of Review and granted the Gold Eagle Palm to my son, dating it February 24, one day after the Scoutmaster Conference. He is now eligible for the Silver Palm on May 24, 2004! He will not participate further in this Troop except to receive the Gold Palm at the next Court of Honor on June 6 (his choice). He will get the Silver Palm in the Venture Crew. He has learned to fight for the recognition he deserved. I hope the Troop learns something from this about how to retain Eagle Scouts, although I seriously doubt it.

First, tell him Congratulations from an old dude.

Second, as an old dude, let me tell you, we "graduate" scouts to a Venture crew very regularly (think like a Pack to Troop move) Venturing is FUN!! Might be because I'm on the Council Venturing Committee, might be because I see lots of good kids that aren't ready to leave BSA as they sit for the Eagle B of R (District Eagle Chair), or is it that I like the fact that kids get to be kids a little longer and don't have to register as a young adult to stay in the program (I see this as the Committee Chair for a nice BIG troop)

Good luck in getting a full ribbon for that bird, and just one more piece of advice. The troop has lost a good one, let the water pass under the bridge...

It is hard to think like a scout- friendly, courteous, kind... when faced with the obstinant and resistant attitudes that my son encountered to get this recognition. I have been quite irritated that these adults discouraged a good kid from continuing in the troop (over a PALM!!), when they should be looking for ways to encourage it. I have had to erase several e-mails to the troop leadership when my scout sense took over and made me realize that I was not being constructive. However, because he was willing to fight for this recognition through Council, the Troop bylaws will be changed to allow for a Board of Review in all cases after a SM Conference. The criteria for a palm will be clear for the next scout to come up for it.

I think the troop has a right to define a "satisfactory effort to demonstrate and develop leadership ability" any way it wants to. IMO it should allow for outside leadership and encourage these high school students to continue in scouting. If they want to define demonstration of leadership ability the same way it is defined for Star and Life- to hold a position of responsibility in the troop or perform a project assigned by the SM, fine; but do it in advance of the tenure of the recognition. Even then, an appeal to Council or National may overturn "their" definition of a satisfactory effort if it is not reasonable.