New to the Board of Review process

Pardon my frustration here but...Doesn't anyone TALK to scouts anymore?

Is it really incomprehensible to say to a scout "tell me how you are trustworthy in your everyday life"?

Just because a scout freezes up and cannot say the Oath or Law doesn't mean he he doesn't know the points or live them in his life. Ask him!

Why on earth is the scoutmaster finding out, when a scout is ready for Life, that he doesn't know the Law or Oath. How can you not know this about a scout?

I have never known a scout go beyond Tenderfoot and not be able to recite the Oath and Law. I know guys who after being a scout for a year be able to recite the Law and Oath 30 years later. What is being done or not being done in a unit that the Scoutmaster would be so clueless about the ability of the scouts?

So, if a scoutmaster is going to punish a scout for not having the skills of scouting, who punishes the scoutmaster?

Please, Please, Please, talk to your scouts. Not just at the SM conference but often, and for a purpose. even when you are just shooting the breeze, listen to what they are telling you.

Watch them at outing and activities, I mean really watch them. Save chatting with the other adults for times when the scouts are resting. Do they the use the skills they were taught? Do they act according to the Oath and Law? Quit trying to control things and people. If you want to Kill a troop then be the guy "In Charge". If you want to deliver a scouting program then, Observe, Evalute, Recognize, Counsel, and Train.

My rant is now officially over.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me clairify what I was trying to say. I intended for that to be clearly seen as the troop intending to do things correctly (i.e. the BSA way). Unfortunately that wasn't how some of you deciphered it. We aren't creating some sort of "ideal troop way", instead we are trying to do things the BSA way, but sometimes finding that difficult to do.

Proud Eagle,

A troop is required to have three adults on the troop committee in order to have a charter. The troop is required to have at least three committee members sit on a Board of Review.

What reason would the troop have for not being able to adhere to the advancement policies of the BSA?