One boy was having problem every camp out. The boy would somehow blow it - rock throwing, spitting, refusing to do his share - something every trip. SM had asked the boy for two events with out a major problem before he would sign off on Scout Spirit for 1st class.

Scout managed to make it through one, then was out of town for the next, then the next was canceled due to a winter storm.

Father let me know life at home was not going to get better until this was over (mother was pushing hard), SM let me know he had no choice but to live by his word two events.

With the Scout, SM and father sitting there at the table, I picked up the phone and called the SM of another troop and asked if this young man had gone on an event with them. Father and boy had a look of shock, I wasn't supposed to know he was looking at another troop. He thought it was over for him. I asked the other scoutmaster if he had shown scout spirit. Hung up the phone informed our SM the scout had done as asked. SM signed off and BOR passed him. Scout still isn't sure why we weren't mad about him looking at an other troop.

Fact is it's more important to have a successful boy than a successful troop.