Second and First Class Requirement Help

I need some help with the Second Class Requirement 2a and First Class requiremnt 3. Both of these deal with participation in Troop/Patrol activities. The Second Class requirement states "Since joining, have participated in five seperate troop/patrol activities...two of which included camping overnight". The First Class requirement states "three of which included camping overnight." Does this mean that only 2 or 3 activites can be overnight camping or that these numbers are a minimum?

ScouterPaul,

You need to reaqd each requirement in its entirety and understand that they are working on multiple ranks at once. But they must receive the ranks in ascending order. (They can complete First Class skills as they work toward tenderfoot and Second Class but they cannot receive First Class Until after they have received Tenderfoot and then Second Class.)

In order to reach Second Class the scouts must have participated in at least 5 troop or patrol activities outside of the regular troop meetings. 2 of these activities must have been a campout.

For first Calss they must have completed a total of 10 troop or patrol activities outside of the regular troop meeting a total of 3 must have been campouts.

That means between the time they joined and the time they become first class a scout must camp a minimum of three separate times.

If you look at the tenderfoot through First Class requirements there are specific things that must be done during these campouts.

Tenderfoot requirements 2, 3

Second Class requirements 2a, 2b, 2c, 2g

First Class requirements 3, 4e,

There are other requirements that can be taught and tested on campouts , but the ones I listed above can ONLY be done while camping. All other requirements can be done on day activities or at troop or patrol meetings.

Hope this helps,

Bob White

ScouterPaul - I think I understand what you are asking. If a boy attends five campouts, but no other types of activities, has he met the requirement for second class? I would have to say that the requirement for two campouts out of the five is there to ensure that the boy gets a minimum amount of camping experience. If his other three troop/patrol activities happened to also be campouts, that should be fine.

It would mean that the boy did not participate in a day hike, or a money-earning event, or a service project, but if those kinds of activities were required, they would be listed as being required. Or the requirement would say "no more than two campouts".

Scouting is heavily involved in outdoor activities. As Bob pointed out, several other requirements can only be accomplished while camping.