Ditto what has been said already.

Change of place is needed. Find out if there is a more comfortable setting for the boy. My suggestion would be to consider trying a round of BORs at the next campout.

when I sit on boards with a boy that has never been through a BOR I like to start off by telling him exactly what will take place...

here in a bit we'll ask you to say the oath and law... if you mess up or stuble a little bit it's okay... it's done at all BOR and great prep for if you ever get to go for an eagle BOR

then we'll ask some basic questions that go over some of the requirements you completed - like for the cooking we'll ask you what you cooked.

we'll also ask you some questions about how you feel about the troop and if there's things that you'd like to change or do to make it better. places you'd like to go on a future camping trip or activities you really enjoy doing.

we'll also ask you some questions about how you are outside of scout activities and what you enjoy doing there.

this isn't a test, it's a get to know you time, if you are nervous at any time just let us know and we'll help you get at ease.

are you ready to start? ok then let's start with the oath and law

and then the first question I usually ask is one that is totally not related to scouts but just a fun question... what's your favorite candy? or what's your favorite jolly rancher flavor? and the adults will say something like "oh that's a good one I like it too" or "I haven't tried that is it really that good"

it lets them know exactly what all will take place, and gets them at ease quickly.

the troop my son was first with was a re-test type of board and all the boys stressed over that and would study and cram for a couple of days before the board... so glad we aren't with them any more.

also, our troop has a large number of adults able to sit on boards and we do them when ever they ask for a board... as soon as done with SMC he tells the boy to go ask 3 of the adults he'd like to do his BOR... so if there is an adult the boy is scared of he can easily ask others instead