Sorry, but this last weekend I had my best homesick story of my career.

NSP boys went down to bed Friday night, first night in tent for many of the new boys.

As adults we were listening to the boys settle in and we heard one of the boys crying. My ASM's know that they are to get me up if there's a problem, but the process we use usually works best. All the adults first lay quiet until it gets really serious. Too often adult intervention makes the situation worse. So we waited.

Because we didn't do anything, the crying boy's buddy tried to quiet him down as best he could. Finally the boy got quieter and his buddy rolled over only to be interrupted with a request from the homesick boy for some kleenex. The buddy didn't have any and told him to go to sleep. About five minutes later the boy was crying again and his buddy asked him now what was he problem. He said he couldn't get to sleep because he was "covered with snot!"

Once the adults quit laughing, we finally got to sleep too.

Stosh

Ten years from now, the new boys in the troop will be wondering why that young ASM is nicknamed "Snot".

Nice story Stosh. The kind that becomes troop lore and may just help another young scout someday get through a nervous night. He'll know that some of the older boys have gone through the same thing.

Ken

I was a huge fan of the HBO Series "The Wire", and it was the opening sequence of the first show that roped me in. On the site of a homicide, a homicide detective is sitting down on a set of row house steps with a witness.

The detective is talking to the witness about the deceased's "street" name: Snot Boogie. The discussion culminates with a line from the detective that goes something like "you've got allergies or some stuff like that, and you're in desperate need of a tissue and can't find one, so all of a sudden you're pegged with a name like 'Snot Boogie'?".

Guy