HELP HELP URGENT

Eagledad

Oh Wow -- there is this HUGE division in the troop (didn't realize it was this bad) There are the New 1st(been to one summer camp) year scout parents who are intense helicopter parents and the others. Just sat there and listened. I think my wife and I were the only ones listening. Neither side was listening to the other. Hover parents want to direct and control everything -- and they now occupy most of the committee positions. The two positions held by older scout parents are bidding there time: one is planning to go to another troop at re-charter and the other is thinking seriously of the same thing -- but is considering hanging in til his son is 14.

Unfortunately, the SM is not stepping up or rather he prefers the control aspect. It is hard the SM is/was a friend of ours - he has his own agenda and that is it. He asked us for input after the meeting then negated everything we said with the I am on the Woodbage staff so I know it all. I must be getting old -- I thought that type of ego stuff went away went you passed your 30's.

I am now more convinced the troop has to run this cycle - you can't change closed minds.

On the positive, the boys who want the crew text message me (i am learning this is the way to communicate with teens) and want to meet again tonight.

This has been different. It all the sharing of the joy both my wife and I have done this is a new one.

2eagles,

I am sorry to hear abou the division in your troop. As a new scoutmaster, I too have an agenda--give it all over to the scouts and let them lead. I have been blessed with minimal division in the units with which I have been associated. On the other hand, it sounds to me like these older scouts are screaming at you what they want: a boy led Venturing Crew; and the direction they are heading is clear. I would get right on that.

May of the crews here text almost exclusively as a means of communicating. It is interesting to see everyone (youth and leaders) texting everything back and forth. If you can reach them this way, all the better. Do what you have to to save these scouts and get them involved with a crew.

Buffalo Skipper -

I am on it or rather the horses have left the barn and I am hanging on - it is actually a wonderful site.

Say if you are on the Gulf coast any good sea kayaking? And does Skipper mean you have Sea Scouts?

2eagles

2eagles,

Yes I do work with Sea Scouts, but on the council level. When I assumed the council chair position last year, we had no ships in the council. Now we have one scuba ship, 2 traditional ships and we are close to chartering 2 more with another 3 in the talk stage. With 150 miles of linear coastline in our council we have more than 3 independent areas in which to organize ships which will not compete with one another for members. In fact, last night I attended a Bridge of Honor one of our ships was having. They are small, but they had 2 Apprentice presented, 2 small boat handlers, and had 2 new recruits join. They had a beautiful landship, varnished mahogany mast and stanchions and a great binnacle and ship's wheel--really top notch stuff!

Sea kayaking is not real big here. We do have lots of good areas to go, but nothing like the Chessapeake or Seattle. Most of our kayakers here use it as a fishing platform. The immediate area here has 3 bays with dozens of bayous, with what I would estimate to be 200+ miles of inland coastline in a 30 mile radius (and that is only one of the 4 areas I referred to above, each of which has it's own bay or two).

It amazed me that with this much inner coastal area, there were no active ships. But we are working hard to change the image of Sea Scouting in the area.

Reason I asked were are in the Gulf coast area. We are sea kayakers - hurricanes have messed with that a bit. It would be awesome for this group I am working with to meet/see Sea Scouts. I thought this would be a huge sea scout area and have been really surprised that it is not. It seems your family either sails or not here. Not being a sailor, i have been looking for that qualified person to help give exposure to scouts.