Orienteering cards?

At BALT this past spring, we did an activity with some orienteering cards. We started at a letter, did various compass headings and pacings and then saw if we ended up in the right place (we did). I'm trying to lay my hands on the set of cards--anyone know where I might get them for the troop? The set we used looked quite old. Thanks.

The camp where I worked for several years in the '90s had an "orienteering" kit similar to what you describe, left over from the 1960s or '70s in an old brown envelope with the BSA logo. I haven't seen it sold for a while.

Keep in mind that while such a course or kit will teach proper compass use, it doesn't do anything for teaching them proper orienteering skills, such as those now used for Orienteering MB, which focus on map-reading and navigation. Check out www.scoutorienteering.com for more info, and have fun!

No, I don't know where you can get a pre-made set of cards but with a little math and imagination you can do a set for yourself.

The most basic of these is the triangle, start on a heading of xxx degrees take 20 paces( or other distance you deem appropriate - the shorter distances for Scouts just learning about compasses - 1/4 mile would not be ridiculous for your pre-Philmont or other HA training period), add or subtract 120 degrees from the original heading(whether you add or subtract you must do the same operation for each of the following steps) take 20 paces, add or subtract 120 degrees and take 20 paces. You should wind up where you started.

For additional cards, just make additional geometric shapes or start with one shape and end with another that returns to the origination point (you can vary the pace count from segment to segment if necessary to achieve the correct length of the sides to return to the originating point).

You can also make a set of cards by just laying out a course for the location you will be at, this provides the opportunity to start at one position and end at another - just like real life, and avoids the "I started here so if I slide over to the same place it'll look like I know what I'm doing" effect of returning to the start point all of the time.

We did our mile plus orienteering course this weekend at a location we were allowed to camp at by a local family. I went out and laid out the course the first hour (hour and a half?,with course check) of the day Saturday and then ran the boys thru after a little refresher training - including a round of the triangle course described above.

They did really well...(This message has been edited by Gunny2862)