Removing an SPL?

I agree with most of what's on this thread. I would say that the Scoutmasters responsibility is to train the SPL to do the job right and when the SPL refuses, should then ask him to step down. I would have no problem doing that if it came down to it, and I'd make sure the boy and his parents understood why.

A couple of years ago we had a young boy that was elected into the office of SPL over a much more experience Eagle. The young boy was councelled and the then Scoutmaster decided that because of his inexperience, the young boy would become the ASPL under the tutlage of the older Eagle scout with experience. They both agreed.

Fast Forward 6 months. The Older Eagle stepped down as was planned and the young scout now took on the role of SPL. Within a month he became unavailable for some troop meetings, had not taken the time to make phone calls to his Scoutmaster, Patrol Leaders or his ASPL. He would attend meetings wearing a hooded sweatshirt, even during hot evenings, and when we'd ask him to remove the hood (always had it up like the unibomber) he was listening to his MP3 player or talking on a cell phone...

The Scoutmaster tried several times to counsel the young scout and he became more and more unreliable and less of a leader, more of a pain in the neck. Eventually the boys was disciplined and left the troop because of a bullying incident at summer camp. The Scoutmaster said, before retiring, said that he regrets not removing the boy from office, leaving him there and trying to counsel him proved more harmful that helpful. ...

I hope this situation worked its way out, but there are those times when the Scoutmaster needs to step in and make decisions based on what's right for the troop.

A few years ago as SM our SPL pulled a real bonehead play on one campout. He lead a few Scouts to town during a mid-night run, made purchases against Scout policy, and returned by taxi to enjoy the fruit of those purchases. They couldn't keep their mouths shut and soon all was known without me ever moving from my rocking chair. Of course the story grew in transit back to town that Sunday. More involvement from others, more problems arose and then the telephone began ringing. Even parents that had not been on the campout knew more than I did and our illustrious CC knew even more.

My first act was to remove the SPL and ask a Scout that I trusted to step in. I suppose my boneheadedness was showing on that one as well. I proceeded to learn to let the committee do their job. I didn't need to overstep my boundaries just because I was upset with the Scouts actions/betrayal. Dumb. The Committee did their job and did their best to fix my mistake. I lost ground on that one with everyone.

Do I let the Scouts lead? Sure, but there are limits and boundaries attached, such as, the G2SS, Civil law, distances we can travel and the kinds of programs. We want committee support and will stay within sight of Scouting. I always have encouraged Scouts to get involved with other programs as well, if they have far reaching desires. Scouting is year-round and we will be here when they return. I don't fear losing Scouts just because we don't do everything.

fb

With our specific situation: The then SM and I were transitioning (he's still active thank God) and the original issue with the SPL had been ongoing. Being an ASM I was also involved in "counseling" and made several attempts at connecting with this young man. His father was a good friend and he had 3 brothers, 1 of which was in the troop as well.

My friend, the transitioning SM, and I staffed at '05 Jambo. While we were there the troop went to Summer Camp. I had sent 3 adults on the trip, 1 grandfather / Eagle Scout who is a retired high school teacher and knows his stuff as an ASM for the trip, one father that had some High Adventure training but never took SM specific, but accepted the job as SM for the week, and one father that had no training what so ever. Because of the culture of our troop, I ASSUMED we were safe...

The SPL (who had been voted out a couple months earlier, but was senior on this trip) chose a buddy to act as his ASPL. The two of them proceeded to bully and abuse almost every other scout that went to camp that summer, to the point of me getting a dozen phone calls of young boys wanting to quit the troop over the treatment they received. What a nightmare.

I spoke to the father w/ limited training (acting SM), happened to be the father of one of the perps, and he said that the boys were great and everyone had a great time. When I explained to him the phone calls, he shrugged it off and said that nothing went on. I spoke to the other ASM's on the trip and they acknowledged that there were some issues and they'd tried to work them out with the acting SM on the trip. Nothing came of it. They told me that at one time the entire troop came to the acting SM and asked for a new SPL and explained the problems. The acting SM dismissed this and told the boys that the two problem kids were in charge and he didn't want to hear another word. They did as he said...until they got home.

During a mid week adventure at camp, the troop took a canoe trip to a small island off the shore for an isolated overnighter. During the evening the SPL stripped buck naked and ran around the woods with the other boys in shock (their words) and proceeded to go skinny dipping. The boys know from youth protection training that this is unacceptable. The again complained and nothing came of it.

When I got a hold of this info I spoke to all the boys and their parents. I assembled the info and came to my conclusions. I asked for a special committee meeting and asked a friend, our Council Commissioner to attend as a mediator. At that meeting I made known my thoughts to have one of the boys expelled from the troop (several warnings about like behavior issues) and the SPL step down and take 2 months off from troop activities. Needless to say both boys and families left the troop, but not after slamming everyone in the room and placing blame every where else but on their sons. It was messy and horrible, but in the end our unit was better and stronger for it.

I still feel soiled from the experience. I lost great friends in the SPL's father and mother, and I lost the SPL and his siblings. The other boy and his family I didn't have the same feelings for ultimately because of previous issues dealing 'again' with bullying, the writing was on the wall with that one.

Moral of the story I would say have all your ducks in a row and then proceed with caution. Make sure you as SM have the blessing and support of the committee before making a move.

• 1 year later...

Having occupied the position, doesn't mean the boy is credited with completing the position!!! We currently have a youth who is struggling as SPL, he has had much assistance by the adults & olders/eagle scouts. So that the entire program does not suffer, occasionally, the adults or older/eagles scouts will intervene. BUT, this SPL was warned early in his term (month 1 1/2 or 2 of a 6 mths term)that the expectations were X, and that if he did not comply with them than he would not be credited with the leadership time. Now at month 4 after continued help he still doesn't get it - he is however aware that when his term is up, he may not get credit for it. Harsh, maybe so, but we have to teach them to live up to standards and expectations. (Also, understand that this boy/family is not new to scouting, this is the youngest of 3 boys - all past scouts)