Scouting Package V Me.

There is a lot more to this "Youth Led" stuff than meets the eye.

I'm fine with the program end of all this.

Sea Scouting is much the same as Dirt Scouting only the titles are different.

The ideas come from the Scouts, they are represented at the Quarterdeck Meeting(PLC) and we find a way of making things happen. With them doing as much of the work as they can.

Making things happen does depend on me training the youth leaders in how to lead and the skills that go along with that.

The obstacle that normally gets in the way of this working is interfering adults. At times I'm the interfering adult. But I work on not interfering.

So that part of the package is fine.

I tend to at times forget the really important stuff and do need to keep the methods of Scouting in clear view.

Again, with Sea Scouting the names change and Patrols become Crews (no -not Venturing Crews.)But just about everything else remains the same.

I don't know or really care who came up with the methods! I do know that given a chance they work for me.

The Aims of Scouting do at times get pushed aside or to the back of the deck. I tend to think if everything else is taking care of it self then the aims will fall into place. This isn't always true. I know I need to start looking at these a little more.

However back to this Youth Led stuff.

When we cover the ideals of Sea Scouting we do use the Scout Oath and Scout Law.

I bet my last dollar that most of us in the forum can't even guess how many times we have stood up and recited the Oath and the twelve points of the Law?

As leaders we are also working on helping the youth we lead make ethical choices.

It is so darn easy to say that a Scout is:Trustworthy,Loyal,Helpful,Friendly,Courteous,

Kind,Obedient,Cheerful,Thrifty,Brave,Clean and

Reverent.

We can sit back and say because he has on his honor said that" I will do my best

To do my duty to God and my country

and to obey the Scout Law;

To help other people at all times;

To keep myself physically strong,

mentally awake, and morally straight.

That it's going to happen.

I think for this to work and if we are going to give more than lip-service to "Youth Led" We the adults have to actively seek out opportunities when a Scout can be: Trustworthy,Loyal,Helpful,Friendly,Courteous,

Kind,Obedient,Cheerful,Thrifty,Brave,Clean and

Reverent and live up to the oath.

Finding these opportunities is just as important if not more important than a lot of the things that we seem to get so very wrapped up in doing and worrying about.

My big problem is that while I'm not the brightest light on the Christmas tree. I do understand that when we give anyone an opportunity, they can either fail or live up to what is expected (pass?). When they pass, everything is fine, but when they don't?

I find myself getting upset and wanting to blame someone.

I sometimes forget that we are in the business of training.

I can at times fail to remember that I'm as bad as they can be.

When they do fail, rather than seeing it as an opportunity for learning, I miss the boat by moaning and groaning at times even making threats!

Very often I hear myself saying "This is your program, your Ship" But when someone doesn't do their best or fails to live up to the Scout Law, I end up taking it personally.

Worse still if it's a Scout who normally does live up to all the fine words and who has a history of making ethical choices.

I really am trying to work on it, but at times that part of the Scouting package is the hardest for me to understand.

Eamonn.

Last year the Quarterdeck met and did lay down some very simple goals. Mainly dealing with specific things like membership, finances.

As we were a start up unit, for the first few months I did most of the planning and the early ideas of what we were going to do came from me. Gradually that has and is changing.

Scouts and small groups of Scouts are stepping up to the plate and taking charge of different events and the day to day running of the Ship.

While getting the job done and a successful outcome are important. Just as important is that each Scout in some way moves toward a better understanding of what the Scout Oath and Law is all about and really means.

Kids are never going to understand what it means to be trusted unless we place them is an area where they have to be trusted.

It's easy to be cheerful when everything is going great, but it becomes a lot harder when you have been busy all day and you are the cook that night. I could go over the entire list, but I'm sure you get my meaning.

My goal for the Ship is that we move toward offering a program that provides, fun, adventure, challenges, but also helps move the young people in the Ship to take responsibility for the Ship.

My goal for each Scout is that they become independent, happy, caring, nice people.

It's easy to guide a group like a Quarterdeck or Patrol Leaders Council into doing what needs to be done.

I'll admit that for a while I was micro-managing.

But dealing with individuals and helping them see that by living up to the Scout Oath and Law, that things go better and that they are a lot happier!!

At present our Boatswain, who is a super nice Lad seems to want to procrastinate and not follow up on things. When asked why something hasn't been done? He either tells me that he was planning to get to it or was too tired.

Trying to help him see that he is letting the people that elected him down and that he isn't living up to the Oath that he took, is more important than moaning and groaning because something hasn't been done.

Still, it seems that lot of times I focus on the job/ task/goal?? and fail to remember why we are here in the first place.

Eamonn.