Goth vs. Boy Scouts

There is a constant struggle in this country between the forces of fads and fashions and those of what I would call (with a bias) enduring values.

Not all enduring values are good. There is often an argument for challenging them and perhaps for changing them. But enduring values tend to endure because they are functional. I have a bias for those values unless a reasoned case argues for change.

By contrast, fads and fasions come from nowhere, and are going there too. They are usually pretty empty in content, and not infrequently can be destructive.

It is sad that so many young people become caught up in the empty values of various fads and fashions. They wind up being manipulated and controlled by media elites and marketers who contrive these fads and gain power and wealth by influencing people and selling them junk.

I often try to imagine what the next fads and fashions will be. Piercing and tattoing seem to be wearing out their welcome. My theory is that before long we will see BRANDING WITH RED HOT IRONS as a coming fashion, and not too long after that, amputation of body parts. Fingers should be popular for amputation, together with the occasional nose.

I'm wondering what other body parts men will be willing to contribute to this fashion when it takes hold.

When people participate in fads calculated to offend a lot of people, I always imagine those people with a sign on their forehead that says "I'm a moron!" They may not be morons, but that's what they are telling the world, in my opinion.

Seattle Pioneer