I just finished leading our troops Junior Leader Training (JLT) this afternoon. I think this has been the fifth or sixth time for me, and by now I know the scripts of those videos by heart!

And they sure seem dated to me - they must be 15 years old. Even my younger son, who was watching them for the first time, later commented on the stiff acting and stilted dialogue.

Does anyone know of any BSA plans to update this important training material?

Does anyone NOT USE these videos?

You'll be happy to know that there is a new JLT out..as well as a new Scoutmaster's Handbook to go with it. It's actually called "Troop Leadership Training" now. It's bases around the concepts of (what a scout must) Know, Be, Do and EDGE (Explain, Demonstrate, Guide and Enable). There is also the National Youth Leader Training too, which is basically a Jr. version of Wood Badge. The new syllubus itself though is very short, but there is more detailed information in the new SM handbook to go with it. Check with your Council Service Center for it. #34306A

While the videos were outdated, in some ways I liked them. For troop which may have become "adult led" over time, I think they offer a bit of understanding to the boys as to what they should be doing!

Venturing is the only program that involves both young men and young women. The video tape that accompanies the Venturing Leader Specific training includes YPT for adult Venturing leaders, and a YPT for crew members called Personal Safety Awareness.

Coincidentally, I was just at our Scout Shop on Friday looking for the JLT package. They said that it's no longer available because the package is currently being updated. According to our Scout Shop, there isn't a date yet as to when it will be available. Until then, you might be able to borrow the information from your Council office. Ours had the tape, but unfortunately didn't have the supporting documentation.

Both Ships & Crews would fall under the Venturing YPT. While there are less Venturing Units than Cub or Boy Scout Units, there are still a good number in each council across the country.

Learning for Life/Exploring is an entirely different organization within National BSA. They also have Youth Protection Training available.

Current YPT for Cub/Boy Scout Leaders & Venturing can be found online at most BSA council websites. The YPT for Learning for Life/Exploring can be found online at the Learning for Life website.