What would you do....

I just reinstated a scout whom I suspended for 90 days due to, among other things, insubordination, vulgarity and some overly agressive behavior, bordering on violence. We stipulated as one of his requirements for reinstatement that he investigate his anger management issues, so that he would be aware of what makes him angry so he can learn to control it. He was told in no uncertain terms that any other serious infraction of the Scout Law would result in his being asked to leave the troop ( this is the very short version of the story, hopefully this is enough to give you a view of the situation ).

This weekend, we had a family campout ( he is also required to have a parent supervise him at all scout outings for the next 3 months ) where he and his brother ( another Scout ) and his parents were in attendence.

I was told by a third party that the mother had to break up a fight between the two boys.

I've got my ideas on what I plan to do, but I'd like to solicit input from those who have had similar experiences... so what would you do?

Recommend that you talk with the mother. Third parties can be skewed sometimes... one person''s view of simple wrestling can be viewed as a fight. Let her know what you have been told and ask her to explain it. She should be aware that the boy's actions are being watched and that there are expectations to be met. Work it out if you can but if she doesn't wish to discuss the matter, then you should discuss with the committee about taking any actions previously agreed upon. Good luck

CMM

You of course know more about the Lad and his family than I do.

Still I have found that at times having a parent around really doesn't help with matters of discipline.

Scouts like many of us have different "Sides".

My little darling acts very differently depending on where he is at and who he is with. At times when he is home he can be a real handful, drive 20 mins to camp and an OA weekend and he is a different Lad completely.

Could it be that having both his Mum and his brother around that he no longer sees the event as a Scouting event? But just an extension of how they act at home.

I think I would have a word in Mums ear on the QT before I would do anything.

Meantime I would go out of my way to do everything I could to catch the Lad doing things right and praise the heck out of him for doing so.

Eamonn.

While I'm sure we are all in agreement that fighting is incompatible with the Scout Law, I would also be hesitant to view a fight with ones brother in the same light as a fight between two non-related scouts. As Eamonn mentioned, it could just be an extension of their home environment. While this is still not an excuse, I think it needs to be considered before you implement the third strike and ask him to leave the troop.

Lastly, you may even find out it was the other brother who started the fight, just to get his sibling in trouble.

Just some thoughts to help un-clarify the issue for you. :-)

--Gags

Thanks for the un-clarification Gags, I think I'll go have a 7-Up now, the 'un-cola'. :-)

You make a good point about checking on who exactly started the fight... will pursue that as well.

My plan all along was to simply speak to the older scout to remind him of the promises he made to me regarding his anger management, and that I expect him to walk away from situations that cause him anger ( which is what he agreed to do ). I will also speak to younger brother to remind him to act with proper scout behavior.

I'm not going to blow a third strike by this kid this time, but if it happens on a non-family campout, under my direct supervision, brother or not, he's getting a fast one right over the plate about belt high.