Boy Scout Oath and Law

I know that in order to become a Boy Scout a Boy must first learn and explain the Boy Scout Oath, law, Slogan and motto. These represent the foundation of his life in Scouting.

It is common when learning a saying, prayer or song, that people will just speak them without thought. They are remembered and spit out on command or when needed.

My question is, over time, do boys forget what they mean, and what they stand for? Are they just a bunch of words?

Does your unit have teach the Scouts what they mean yearly? Reminders?

I think scouts of all ages as well as former scouts remember the words and their meanings. The real test is "do they live them in their everday lives". That answer is as varied as the number of people who are in, and have been in, the scouting program. Remember that these are promises you make to yourself, not to others.

Here are a couple of ways that we keep the meaning(s) fresh in the minds of our Scouts:

1) During Scoutmaster Conferences I (and other of our Scoutmasters) will ask a question like, "What part of the Scout Law have you found hard to live lately?" or "What part of the Scout Law is most important to you?" This opens us up to discuss parts of the Scout law as we respond to his answer. We are not asking him to give us the Scout Law or to define anything, but it makes him think and gives us the opportunity to comment and perhaps even tell him what part of the Law is most important to us.

2) We take Webelos on an outing every November. Our theme for the weekend outing is The Scout Law, Oath, and Motto. We use time before meals and after meals to discuss the various parts and meanings. Using our Boy Scouts as much as possible during the discussion helps to keep all of the meanings fresh in their minds.

Hope this helps,

Doug, ASM59

The Oath, Law, Motto, Slogan, and the Outdoor Code are great elements to include in a Board of Review ... not as a back-check on program, but as a way to teach a Scout to think on his feet:

- To you, what is the most important point of the Scout Law?

- Why is "A Scout is ___________" important to life?

- How do you practice "Do a good turn daily" in your everyday life?

A former member of the Council Key 3 sits, regularly, as the Guest Chairman for local Eagle Boards of Review. I've seen him take boys through 3 or four points of the Law.