FOS Presentations

Bob mentioned in another thread that he does FOS presentations. It reminded me that I had a question I wanted to ask after this weekend's event. But with some other stuff going on (see the thread on a Patrol of Problem Scouts), I forgot.

During our Court of Honor, which was going gangbusters, we had a slot carved out for our District Asst. Commissioner to do an FOS presentation. Now mind you, I was actually looking forward to this. I had always balanced my donations between FOS and United Way, but I made the decision to funnel all of this to FOS, so I was kind of looking forward to the presentation.

The presentation was HORRIBLE! First, this guy read the entire presentation. Absolutely no ad lib at all, let alone having it be fresh by doing it in his own words. He gave some of the Cubs we had there some posters, and asked them to hold them during the presentation, but never made reference to them, and I could not see a correlation between these and his speech. An event that had people having fun, laughing, and enjoying themselves (I'll just say you never know what's going to happen when an adult never gets up to speak, which is the way the MC for the event planned this one), ground to a screeching halt because some boring muckity - muck interupted the proceedings.

I know these presentations are vital, and for a Troop the COH is likely to be the best place to conduct them. My questions are:

1) Is it a rule that the presentation is canned and has to be followed to the letter?

2) What do those of you who do present this do to keep it interesting?

3) What the heck were those posters for?

Thanks!

Mark

Hi Mark,

Very quickly before I run to an appointment.

1)Usually not. It depends on the individual council and the comfort level and ability of the presenter.

2)I have the kids talk to me about the fun of scouting, and then I talk to the parents about the importance of scouting and explain how scouting is funded. Then I explain the important role they play as Friends of Scouting. It has been very effective.

3)Who knows? The Friends of Scouting campaign is not a nationally scripted event. Each council develops their own campaign as needed. The posters you saw were made by and for your council and nowhere else.

The problem is your council is getting their presenters the way too many units get leaders. They recruit by saying "we need somebody to do this". And just like in units, what they get is 'some body'. Instead, they need to 'select' their FOS presenters based on the skills needed to be an effective speaker. That alone would have solved your problem.

happy scouting,

Bob W.

In our council, we have a recommended script which is really more of an outline. We encourage FOS presenters who are "newbies" to work with a veteran FOS presenter a few times before venturing out on their own. I've seen great and lousy presenters. I've also seen low correlation between presentation expertise and dollars collected.

I sat through 2 FOS presentations recently--one in our district, one in another. Each was less than 5 minutes, each was enthusiastic (as in the presenter really believed in what he was doing), and each was different. One of them did something that may have hurt in collections. How do I tactfully point this out? You see, the district has merged by absorbing another district into it. The area we serve is made up, for the most part, of people who have moved out of that particular area and/or hold prejudices against it (the hostilities rang from simply not liking the area to engaging in drive-by shootings between the high school represented in one district and the high school recently added to the district). I am not saying this is right, but it is the reality. I am afraid the presenter didn't know his audience, or he'd have steered clear of or at least downplayed the need for funds to support the expanded district.

By the way, using advice others gave, we put the FOS presentation first in the order of events. Then the focus turned to fun. I too was looking forward to the presentation, but was disappointed due to the above item mentioned.

Mark,

When I present FOS, I try to talk from my heart. What I mean is, what Scouting has done for my family, others I been involved with. I don't use the script at all. I do talk about how much it takes to support a youth in the Scouting program, but mostly about what it will do for their youth. I have found over the years, that to sell a program (ie:Scouting, FOS,Wood Badge, etc.) you have to believe in it. Worst thing is to have someone do a FOS presentation that doesn't believe in it. I have also gathered pictures of the unit and shown them in a powerpoint presentation.

Dancin

I've done four FOS presentations in the past two weeks and I go by dancin's philosophy (oops, how Wheelie isn't lurking).

I talk from the heart and have fun with the audience.

On Monday night I had the unit's SM, ASM, and an Eagle Scout hold the cards for me.

While showing the pretty trinkets that the would be donors get for pledging, on cue, I had the SM say "OOOHHH". ASM say "AHHHH", and the Eagle Scout say "Pretty".

The kids and the parents loved it.

At a B&G I had the Tigers hold the cards, 2 Webelos attach the FOS participation ribbon to the Pack Flag.

At a small troop's parent meeting I started off by stating if the SM would write a $1000 check, I would leave right then and there. It broke the ice... and we had some fun.

We do FOS at our B&G in February. If we wait until March or April, attendence is way down due to spring sports kicking in. We've played around with where to do it on the program, but this year we did the opening, invocation, FOS and then dinner. This give parents the time to complete their pledge cards over dinner or while waiting their turn to get in line. It also allows our FOS guy time to button-hole specific individuals.

Some presentations have been better than others, but I can't say that any have been notably bad. This is just my opinion, but I don't really think the actual presentation makes a huge difference. Generally, folks are either committed or not and and will contribute what they feel they can. Probably more important to the bottom line is making sure folks understand the mechanics; that you're only looking for a pledge not a check, and that they can break up the pledge and be billed monthly or quarterly.

Based on past experience, and wisdom gleaned from these forums and a couple of lists, I planned this year similar to what TwoCubDad said.

FOS at B&G in February, early in the evening, before skits, awards, entertainment.

Over the past four years, there have been three FOS clunkers and one good FOS presenation - last year, by the brand new DE, Kevin. He is an Eagle Scout, in his late 20s. Could relate to the kids easier than a 50s something Scouter. Brought coffee mugs for the IH and COR. Had some award to give to the Pack - Summertime? Taught the boys a cheer. And had a funny, short speech about why Scouting is important and how FOS fits into funding Scouting. In and out in 15 minutes with a bunch of pledges and checks.

We were moved to a different district this year, so wouldn't be getting Kevin. Called the new new DE. Told him the date and how last year's went.

No one showed up at the B&G. Now they are scrambling to get on a Pack Night agenda soon (the Cub Scout camping director also never showed up at B&G to talk about Cub/Webelos resident/day camps, and is part of the scramble).

Next year, I'm putting them down at Pinewood Derby, in January. If they miss that, they still have a shot at B&G.

Pack Nights aren't a bad venue, but PWD and B&G have almost every Cub and his family, somewhat captive (sitting down), plus extended family. More donor prospects.

You live and you learn.

We used to have a script. It didn't work.

Now we have a fun filled, pizza munching, Adult beverage consuming training for the presenters and we invite each unit to send a Unit FOS Chair. Behind the pizza and fun there is a training. In fact it is very well attended. Of course there isn't a youth or a uniform in sight. Some of the Unit Chairs are not on the charter.

We cover what is needed to fill out a FOS card. How the billing works and all that boring stuff. Then we have someone do a presentation. Most of the gang do it from the heart but we have given them information to help them out: How many youth in the council along with odd facts, such as how much a new tent for camp costs.

The Unit FOS Chair is a new idea. We give the units the choice of named cards or blank cards. Either way he or she is to see that the cards end up in the hands of the people and the right people if they opt for the named cards. (These have the amount donated last year on them.) We also give them pens to distribute. They also organize the collection of the cards. It is working out well we still have some money to come in but are at 114% of our goal.

Eamonn

It's kind of good to hear that I'm not the only one to ever sit through a "clunker", but it's better news that it doesn't have to be bad.

The guy who did ours is a good guy - He really is. But I might consider writing the $1,000.00 check if they don't send him back next year (just kidding. PLEASE! just kidding!).

Thanks all.

Mark

I've seen good and bad. The unit has an impact on it as well. If the leader gives a positive endorsement to it before the presentation and follows up with more encouragement, it helps sell the concept.

The best I've seen was when they recruited the County Sheriff to be the FOS representative. There's just something about a big guy packing heat that generates donations!!! It was a biggest year ever.

• 1 month later...

My personal opinion is Friends of Scouting presentations should never be given at Courts of Honor.

Courts of Honor are primarily intended to recognize Scouts and Scouters for their achievements and contributions, and for friendship and fellowship.

Courts of Honor are not conducted to facilitate FOS presentations.

I consider doing a FOS presentation at a Court of Honor as disrectful to those attending the event.

Many Scouters and parents also consider it disrespectful, tacky and some are insulted by it. Some of them won't say anything out loud though.

There is a time and a place for everything and those conducting FOS presentations need to be aware of that.

Matter of fact, I am not so sure that begging (and it is mostly begging) money from people who generally give directly to the program through donation of time, effort, and often times money, is either good or wise. This in my opinion should be the last group of people to be asked. Reminds me of an employer begging money for the company giving program.

Due to questionable application of funds by various charities, I don't give money to anyone any more. I may donate time and effort, but not money.

If any of you disagree, ok with me. But my opinion will not change on this.

So Owl, If you were to accept the need for Friends of Scouting, at what other troop function when parents are present would the presentation be able to be made?

Also, as vital as volunteer time is to the BSA there are some things that cannot be obtained with volunteer hours, they require money.

Could a scout unit survive with zero funds? Have you ever tried to pay for a campsite in volunteer hours, or a tent, or food?

Do you think the post office will accept volunteer hours to purchase postage for your scouting mailers? Will the mower that clears your campsite operate on volunteer hours or will fuel actually have to be bought? The people that we as volunteers hire, to keep or records, care for our properties and grow the program for 8 to 15 hours each day be able to pay their bills and feed their families with volunteer hours?

Your expectations for scouting to exist without funds is unreasonable. Your willingness to lump all non-profits together as misusing funds is unfair and uninformed. Your determination to not allow your opinion to be swayed by facts is unfortunate.(This message has been edited by Bob White)