Creating Stimulating Meetings for Older Scouts

Hello,

I am a trained adult leader new to scouting. Our troop has two challenges: 1) preparing meetings that are interesting and stimulating for older scouts; and 2) establishing greater parental involvement. I realize these are perennial challenges for nearly all troops.

I was hoping to create a list of tips and techniques that other troops have used to meet these two challenges. Hopefully this forum will generate such a list to be a future resource for all of us.

Many thanks.

Cord Kirshner

I will offer that the chances are slim to none that you can create a meeting that will be interest to oilder scouts.

Why? Because you are not a tenage boy. It takes older scouts to plan events interesting to older scouts. What you can do is teach them how to take what interestest them and make it a plan rather than a wish.

You can train the leaders how to listen to their patrol members in a way that will encourage them to speak up and get involved in the troop or patrol.

Have the scouts make a list of the things they would do in an ideal year of scouting. Have them select specific activities and place them on a calendar. find scout skills or merit badges leadership skills that are associated with those events and turn them into monthly themes to prepare the scouts for their events.

Have fun

Bob White

BW's correct.

Only your Jr. Leaders can decide what they want to do. As a Leader, our job is to guide them.

1. Brainstorming is great. The more the merrier.

2. Putting it on a calendar is a little more challenging but they'll get it done.

3. Empower them to make thier own decisions and stand back and let them make thier mistakes and learn from it. Do not help unless it is a Safety violation or concern.

4. Instruct your Jr. Leaders to conduct After Action Reviews (AAR's) after each event. What went right? What went wrong? Did everyone learn? etc.

5. Be Flexible. Plans change.

Matua