Sign in to follow this  
bnelon44

Working the Patrol Method

Going to have to get that one. I personally recommend the 3rd edition SMHB, both volumes, written by Green Bar Bill himself. To paraphrase one of the local 'scoutisms" in my neck of the woods : even if the book was edited to a single volume, it would still have more info on the patrol method and how to run a troop than the current SMHB.

I have read the 1936 Handbook for Scoutmasters (some sections a few times.)

Interested in the impressions of this new book though. I have just started reading it and it seems pretty good to me. It trys to couch the Patrol Method to a modern audience, I think.

I've read it, it is well-written, and I enjoyed it. Lots of anecdotes, but I get the feeling some of them have been made up to fit the situation being talked about. Honestly, you get as many real-life stories on this forum, and we all know those are actual real-life stories, right? :-)

The book isn't loaded with anything groundbreaking or new, if that's what you're looking for.

Guy

Just got that and the 3rd edition 2 volume SMHB. Haven't started reading yet, but both were highly recomended to me.

I am about 1/2 way through Working the Patrol Method and it is an excellent read. They seem to be taking Hillcourts teaching and converting it to modern BSA lingo. I looks like it would be a good introduction to the Patrol Method to modern Scouters.

OK, I finished the book. Excellent I would highly recommend it to anyone who would like to see how to implement the Patrol Method using the modern BSA training continuum.