one small step :-)

Took a small step today --

First of all, thanks to everyone for the ideas of getting a troop on-track. Things have been going really well in that regard (as long as one resigns oneself to slow, small steps).

I took a small step by registering the troop to attend an adjacent council's patrol-oriented summer camp (Camp Bell, in Daniel Webster Council, NH). Patrol-oriented in the sense that we'll have patrol cooking, but also patrol programming (set up by the PL, for his patrol).

The other adult leaders all have older sons, none of whom were planning on attending summer camp with the troop this year (the adult-led, advancement-oriented troop loves their "Eagle Week" camp, right?). The current PLC has only one possible member who may attend summer camp.

The other adult leader (we seem to be on the same page) and I are the only adults that have committed to spending a week at camp this summer. So I talked it over with him -- I admitted that the week would be a challenge, because our guys don't really know how to act like a patrol, and there wouldn't be the same emphasis on summer camp merit badges. He said "merit badges are important, but our guys need patrol method now!".

So far the only scouts committed to camp are my two sons, the other adult's son, one older scout, possibly the one PL, some unknown number of first-year scouts and crossover Webelos (I'm going to schedule a summer camp parent's meeting Real Soon Now, in order to talk to the newbie parents about what camp is all about and why this one in particular will be important).

There will be other steps to take, of course, but one major problem will be integrating new scouts into a patrol system that doesn't fully exist in our troop yet.

Guy

GK, I know nothing about BOY Scouts. I am only a second year CUB scout parent.

But I will say this: I think you will do great! Why? Well, your first camping experience with this particular new patrol will probably not go off without a hitch, but the great thing is...it's an all new patrol.

You won't have to worry about any of those "But this is how we usually do it",or " I always do it this way! " comments or feelings.

Everybody will learn together and learn as a unit and team. At the very least, they should (you as well) have a tighter knit group because of it.

Again, we both know it won't be a walk in the park, but in another year, you just might have a fine tuned- well oiled machine there!

Thanks, 'fish --

When looking around for summer camps (we have a council camp, and do have a reservation there for a third year in a row, but I'm an engineer, so I'm always looking for something better!), I had a discussion with our CC about building the patrol method, and the suitability of this patrol-oriented camp. We both agreed that the older scouts were just a little too entrenched in their "troop method" ways, and that the best bet would be to target younger scouts, and especially first-year and crossovers.

Meanwhile, the older guys are starting to feel bored, and want to do high adventure activities, and the SM is well-suited for that kind of stuff. When given the opportunity, I keep telling them "start planning what you want to do, and make a proposal", but as I said above, they're just a little too entrenched. They're exhibiting a lot of the "I'm bored, so entertain me" entitlement.

Guy