Help fix a failing patrol

Originally in another thread, we talked about my challenging scout with an attitude. I want to discuss him further, but this has more to do with his patrol than it does him, so I felt it was good to spin-off.

The patrol in question has struggled for some time. Originally the patrol was composed of scouts who crossed over from Webelos together along with the previous years crossover and new scouts (first divided into two different patrols, but later merged back together). Recently, the more disruptive scouts in the troop (all from this patrol) have dropped or become inactive, including 2 of the 3 previous PLs. The patrol now has 5 scouts: one Star, two Second Class and two new Scouts (one transfer the other new to scouting); they range from 11 to 14 years old.

Our particular headstrong scout was elected PL back in September. He is a Second Class and the PLC decided then that by the March election, our troop would have grown enough to see that PLs must be at least First Class. Since then, he has attended only 2 campouts (one Winter Camp in which he was the only member of his patrol present). The patrol changed their name back in September, which I have discussed in a couple of other threads. I explained to them beforehand that since they had changed their name 3 times in the past 24 months (at troop expense for flag supplies and patrol patches), that if they choose to change their name one more time, they would have to purchase their own patches and material for a flag, which they have not done. They havent even come up with a patrol yell, which will keep the two new Scouts from advancing. I have reminded the PL that these things need to be done, probably once a month, but no action has been taken yet. Just before Christmas, they began discussing changing their name again (it is currently Flamingos), but didnt reach any conclusions.

By comparison, our other patrol is doing fairly well. They have all advanced at a reasonable rate. The core is 4 scouts who crossed from Webelos together (First Class, Second Class, and two Tenderfoots) and a transfer scout (Star). All scouts are 11 or 12 years old. Though they sometimes stumble, they listen, and learn from their mistakes. They have shown considerable growth since they have joined, and they get along well; they have earned the Patrol of the Month ribbon for the past 3 consecutive months. According to the SPL, Decembers ribbon will be theirs as well if the Flamingos dont have a flag or patches in the next 2 weeks.

One of my biggest concerns is that moral in the Flamingos is very low; and our two newest scouts dont even realize it yet. If things go unchanged, we will likely lose our two new scouts. No one in the patrol wants to be PL except for the one scout, who isn't really doing much. I am really looking for ideas of how to inspire this scout and his patrol. We have had an extensive Leadership training (Kudus Green Bar) which has gone well, but this patrol has not put into action what they have learned.

Obvious options:

1) In an attempt to resolve the Patrol identity issue, I can offer up any patches of old patrols which the troop currently have in stock (we have 5 or 6 they could use) and I would even accept that they re-use the old flag.

2) One member of the other patrol has recently become buddies with the struggling Flamingo PL. This scout is charismatic and a natural leader; but he can be a real handful. I could swap out he and one of the new scouts and appoint him PL or wait until 2 months when he would likely be elected anyway. This may be one of my best options, (put the clown in chargeoften times they will surprise you), but that leaves a bit of a gap in the good patrol.

3) I could dissolve the patrol and have them be absorbed into the other currently existing patrol, making a troop of one patrol (10 scouts) plus an SPL. I really dont like that dynamic at all, even it is just for a short time.

4) We could start over and realign patrols, but we really just did that last year and the year before that. This goes against the patrol unity philosophy I have been preaching to the scouts since the last crossover. I feel this is too much of a step backward.

5) We can leave the patrols as they are and see if we can fix what is in place currently. I am all about having scouts work things out for themselves, but 4 months of floundering with no end in sight (in spite of leadership training and a few quiet Scoutmaster Conferences) simply isnt likely to magically work.

Keep in mind, that 7 weeks from now, we are planning to absorb 10 new Webelos: 2 entire dens from our shared charter packs. We had been planning to divide our current patrols into smaller groups in 2 weeks; this was to give the mini patrols (and especially the new spin-off patrol) a campout time to adjust and gel before they take on the new scouts. Yes, thats a 50:50 ratio of new to experienced scouts, something which will be problematic into and of itself (as we have discussed in other threads).

I will involve the SPL with this, but not until I have ideas to present to him. Even if he does come up with an alternate solution, his ideas are not always grounded in a realistic manner.

So, what ideas do you all have to help us out in this situation? Right now I am leaning toward #2, but I really want to hear what you think.

>>I suggested that when patrols were reformed (the "best and final offer", so to speak), we ask that scouts write down their names and the name of a buddy they'd like to be in a patrol with.<< Barry, this may be a viable option for me as well.  Do you think this would work with existing patrols?  I mean with existing PLs?

Good luck with the Flamingos.

I know you will get a bunch of good ideas, so here are mine.

1) Discuss with the "natural leader" in the other patrol about switching over and running for PL when the time comes.

2) Have your SPL talk to the struggling PL and really mentor him. have the SPL ask him some questions about how the patrol is doing, what could be done to improve, how they can go about inproving, etc.

3)Reorganize the patrols about 2 weeks before the Webs crossover. that way you have several patrols with expereinced scouts already in place as PL to take in the new scouts. While the NSP is one way of doign things, I personally like splitting them up. BUT whatever you do in the patrol formations, LET THE SCOUTS PICK WHO THEY WANT TO BE WITH.

4) My old troop allowed folks to switch patrols once per year, and thenit was just before one fo the elections, so they did have a vote in the new PL. Usually folks stayed in the same patrol their entire tenure in the troop until they moved up to the Leadership Corps. But sometimes folks did want to switch, or a need for an additional patrol would cause folks to move around.

5) Move the new scouts into the other patrol in order to retain them, and let the Flamingos flounder.

This may sound bad, but sometimes patrols and PLs need to fail in order to learn and grow. Good Luck.

Maybe take your most challenging scout (for a lack of better word) and ask him if he wants to be PL of the new cross overs. Sometimes if they have a purpose and focus it helps keep them from bouncing off the walls. It's a big risk, but sometimes the boys will rise to the occasion.

Otherwise have him take over as TG and take the PL of the NSP under his wing and help him get his patrol up and running. Sometimes that mentoring dynamic is good for the boy to focus as well.

Whatever you do, it is time for this boy to start focusing on something besides himself. If he's the center of attention to himself he'll just continue to act up. Once he focuses on something beyond himself and is given some responsibility to go along with it and some level of expectation to perform, he just might step up.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Stosh

I would probably step in here. I agree with you the boys aren't going to fix it. You hate to see the new Scouts drop out. The patrol can't pick a patrol yell? It's really hard to tell about this, but I can suggest some things I might try.

1. Take the patrol leader aside, and tell him that if he wants to keep his job, his patrol needs a name and a yell and a flag within a week. Then offer up the old ones, or something. You might have the SPL do this if you prefer.

2. I would probably just go with one patrol for this group, instead of two. I don't know that you have enough critical mass, or enough maturity in the group, to really sustain two patrols.

3. Remix the patrols, letting the Scouts choose them. See what they come up with.

Your option 2 sounds like a possibility...I think the organization would be fine, but I don't know how the patrol would feel about being handed their new leader. Might be fine. You mention that this would leave a gap in the good patrol, and I think that's another indication that you might not really have enough Scouts to make two viable patrols.

Thank you for the great advice, as always. I actually cut/paste most replies and edit it down to the simplest statement. I review (and edit) these as often as I see the need. So keep those replies coming--they are valued and put to use.

My SPL is an interesting young man. I won't bore you with all the details, but suffice it to say he is unusually small for his age (15) with fiery red hair to match his personality. He is not, nor will he ever likely be a "natural leader," but has reasonably good scout skills, and a willingness to make a good effort. We are mentoring him very carefully and are making progress, though there is still much for him to learn. He and our "challenging PL" butt heads frequently, so he is not the choice to step in with that patrol.

Both our "natural leader" and the "challenging PL" are Second Class scouts; each lack about 2 small requirements to be First Class. I expect both will be 1C before Webelos crossover in 6 weeks, but neither have the skills to be a TG, and probably won't for another year. Keep in mind that the "natural leader" is still a first year scout, and that our challenging PL is just finishing up his second year. Both have attended our Green Bar training (5 sessions and a hike completed, only the last session and campout to go).

On a bright note, we had our 2nd Annual Webelos Fun Day on Saturday, and there were almost 25 Webelos from 6 dens and 4 packs in attendance; it was a resounding success. The troop scouts led the games themselves, and it gave them a real boost. During lunch, I was going to narrate the slide show, a review of the troops activities over the past year, giving the scouts a much deserved rest after a good job all morning, but two scouts jumped up in front of the entire crowd and said "We'll do it!" So I stepped back and let them narrate the show (without practice or prompting), and I sat back and ate! That's the Al Bundy school of Scoutmastership. The troop did a great job.

OakTree, I agree that this is an instance in which "allowing them to fail" is akin to "setting them up to fail," which in this case would be disaster for these scouts. I have allowed scout leaders from this patrol to fail in the past, in spite of careful mentoring, but I believe they are at their limit. With crossovers in 6 weeks we will have a total of 22 active scouts in the troop. These are our best numbers in 7 or 8 years. I do not think we can do that with 2 patrols; I (and other local scout leaders with whom I seek counsel) believe we really need to make 3 patrols, as the dynamics of 3 vs. 2 patrols is very different (in terms of patrol competitions), and really where we need to be going. Our next PLC is set for January 25. I will give the PL until this date to have the patrol yell and patrol flag completed. It is also at this meeting when we plan to divide into 3 patrols (in spite of their small size). This will give us the February campout for the new patrol to "gel" and to get their patrol equipment in order before the new scouts join. Formal elections will be after crossover, with all new rules in effect (For PL: 1C. For SPL or ASPL: 1C and 6 months as a PL. Scouts can change patrols-with PLC approval1x/year, just before Webelos crossover).

I am still leaning toward having the "natural leader" and the newest scout swap patrols (for balance). We have 3 scouts who want to form the core of the new patrol with Star, Tenderfoot (almost 2C) and a Scout (joined in November, almost a Tenderfoot), which will put them in the middle, as far as balanced experience. The Star (new PL) is young, and transferred from another troop in September, but he has great skills and will do fine with a new patrol. I expect his patrol will be the one to beat most often.

We are also gaining a couple of ASMs (a new experience for me as a SM). One in particular Eagled with the troop 20 years ago, and his dad was the SM for 8 years when the troop was 50-60 strong. His father will be returning to the troop as a committee member. Two other troop alumni are also returning as ASM and CM. As important, the SPLs grandfather (with whom he and his family live) has offered to join as ASM. He is a former SM and professional scouter. His health prevents him from camping, but he wants to be direct contact at the meetings, which is welcome.

Slowly, our troop is working its way back to where it was 20-40 years ago. We are gaining a reputation in the district as a Boy Led program, even if I feel we have a long way to go to really reach that plateau. If I can facilitate restoring good health to our Flamingo patrol, I think we will be making a big stride in this direction.

The PL and I have been had a couple of "mini" SMCs on this, but they have been very informal. He is generally noncommittal, but overall doesn't feel there is a real problem. The patrol is really no worse off than it has been since he joined. Not having seen how things really are suposed to be run, leads him to the conclusion that they are not really that bad. I do plan to sit down with him about this tonight or tomorrow (the PLC planned 2 meetings this week to prepare for this weekend's backpack trip, which they fell behind on getting ready for). He has asked me to switch "natural leader" to his patrol, but I have not yet confirmed he wants to go. Again, I was hoping to bring it up one of the next two nights.

The PLC has not formally discussed the issue to it's conclusion. Knowing that we have significant growth planned has been talked about at the PLC since October, but the actual decision of how to divvy up the Socuts and Webelos has been tabled until it was closer to crossover. I have sat down informally with the SPL, and separately small groups of the PLC to discuss this. Not to make any decisions, but to "chat." The idea of spinning off members to form the core of a third patrol seems to be what they like and where they intend to go. A few more chats produced 3 scouts who want to form up the new patrol. The plan to do this will actually be at the next PLC on Jan 25.

I have not really discussed this, but I do have another option (variation) here. Instead of swapping "natural leader" and new scout, we could switch him out with another 2C (almost 1C) scout. This would give each patrol a almost perfectly equal balance of both age and rank. The real advantage here would be that next year, we could peel off the older scouts into a Venture Patrol (which I believe some would like), with each patrol losing one 13 year old. That would then give us additional options next year including forming a NSP, if we wanted to go that route, eventually either making them their own patrol or blending them with the existing patrols.