Patrol Method and B.P.

Am well past half of the book HOBNAILS and HEATHER, a book about the first international hike by senior scouts from BSA, taken in England and France in 1928. They had the honor of meeting with B.P. at his estate, "Pax Hill", and having lunch and conversation. They mention B.P. asking one of their leaders about how did BSA scouts use the "patrol method". So, there was, it seems, an interest, maybe even a small concern, that BSA was not quite using the system as he felt it might be best used.

I suspect, that a little digging would turn up other hints at this. But, B.P. was known to be very supportive overall of BSA, and especially its growth and popularity. Others, especially some historians might have more to add here of course.

(This message has been edited by skeptic)

If memory serves, the patrol method was not as big a deal with the BSA like elsewhere. That is until a certain Dane began working for the BSA and after meeting a Mr. West in an elevator. Gotta love GBB, and glad I had HIS last BSHB as mine.

I am not a BSA or BP historian, and I have much more to learn in these areas. But it has been my understanding that BPs "Patrol Method" was the crux of the program he developed. It was, in many ways, a unique new method of education, comperable in some was to educational systems such as Montessori schooling; BP viewed the Patrol Method as a natural means of education of boys and young men, different from any teaching methods of his time.

It is understandable then, that he would inquire of the Patrol Method's use in America. But of course, there could have been many reasons for his asking this.

You make me want to buy many histories of BP and the BSA to look into this further....

Having read a half dozen various bio's of BP, I am fairly cognizant of the basics relating to the program development in England, and much of the other countries. BSA is for the most part the farthest from the original in many aspects, and always has been since its founding by Boyce and the other prominent gentlemen of the time. BP definitely felt the patrol system should be the core of the boy leadership model; that has little room for debate from my readings. It certainly was a concern of his when he met with West in the early stages. GBB finally coerced West into allowing the basic model to be put forth, and that resulted int the 1929 version of the Patrol Leader Handbook. GBB also continued to press for a better version of the Fieldbook, and finally got it in 1944; pretty much stayed the same until mid 60's, and in my opinion still the best ever written.

There are dozens of bio's of BP available, many only small pamphlets, but a few that are quite informative. Most are only known widely by serious historians of the program, and were written in England. Also are a lot of peripheral things that reflect a great deal on his thoughts and their changes as he got older and focused on how he felt it should be directed. Late in his life, as WWII was developing, he became very outspoken about Scouting being a "peace" movement.

You can also get a lot of perspective on BP and his thoughts by reading others who simply reference him in depth when discussing their own scouting related experience.

But, no matter what the past reflects, we now live in completely different cultural milieu, and we need to find ways to both keep the best and modify it to today, and not be afraid to embrace new things and find ways to work them in as well. Living in the beginning of the 20th century is not a practical approach to sustaining the basic program, though it will always have its place. Of course, if we, as a world society continue some our errant ways, we may find that those skills are more usable than we might wish.