It's been a long hike, but we are finally reaching our destination. When we started our troop two years ago, we had a handful of freshly graduated Webelos 2's and two active adult leaders. I became Scoutmaster and my coleader became Chair. He had no Scout experience other than being my Assistant Den Leader.

Right from the start, our one patrol operated as a patrol. They had no clue what they were doing, but they learned. The adults took training and along the way we brought in other adults. I observed what I thought were well run units and got close to their adult leaders, using them as mentors.

The adults had to do the skill instructions and sign off the books. Our first year we were hardly a "Scout run" troop. But they were catching on. The boys would lead ceremonies, plan campout meals, etc. Small steps. A week of summer camp and a few First Class badges began to make a huge difference. Two solid patrols to start our second year, with Patrol Leaders taking on more responsibility. But still no SPL or PLC.

With the latest group of Webelos crossed over, we now have 17 boys. Enough for two Patrols and to start some troop leadership. Along with four young leaders, I attended a council sponsored Troop Leaders Training course. The boys began to catch on.

Two weeks ago we elected a 13 year old First Class SPL. He chose a 12 year old First Class ASPL. One week ago we held our first PLC meeting. As Scoutmaster I chaired that first meeting, but made it clear it would be the last one I would chair. By the end of the meeting the four youths had really taken to planning. This was probably the only segment of their lives over which they really had control! They at first seemed reluctant to believe the adults were actually letting them take charge.

Now, they had been trained and had been given the reins. My only question was would they follow through? At our meeting last night, I started to remind the troop that the SPL would now be in charge. But they were not listening to me. Why? Because the SPL had already gotten their attention and was beginning the meeting... with his organized notebook in hand. He and the ASPL each worked with one of the 11 year old Patrol Leaders throughout the meeting, getting organized for summer camp. Neither the SPL or ASPL took charge of the patrols. They acted as advisors to the PL's.

It was beautiful to see these boy leaders all work together. Are they perfect? Not hardly, but then neither is their Scoutmaster. But they are having fun. And in the end, they will be more confident and better prepared to someday lead their own families and communities.

Bill Hillcourt without a doubt had the right method. Despite all of the electronics, boys today are still young men. They long for adventure, they love the outdoors, they are capable of being leaders. Give them the tools, train them, turn them loose, expect them to succeed, and be there with an open hand and a smile when they fail.(This message has been edited by Narraticong)

I'm with Buffalo on this! Great job!

Starting from scratch gives one the best perspective of not having to unlearn all the "traditions" that troops often carry forward. I'm seeing some pretty exciting years ahead for you.

Stosh

Great job!

Make sure every Scouter involved from this point on knows the right way to deliver the program to the patrols in your troop so all your hard work does not go to waste.